• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Power Source For Electric Choke

Bruzilla

Local time
1:03 PM
Reaction score
Where is the best place to wire in an electric choke? Can it be wired into the positive terminal of the coil?

I used the 12v side of my ballast resistor, and used a single male to double male piggyback splitter like this one. No cutting or splicing.
8019K96-2.jpg

Wire it straight into the fuse panel key on accessory.

If you do decide to use the ballast resistor then put a fuse inline as the ignition system is not fused and use the correct side of it. I learned this the hard way.

Don't use the positive side of the coil

Alternator field circuit... You only want the choke powered when the car is running, not when the key is on..

Alternator field circuit... You only want the choke powered when the car is running, not when the key is on..

Holley and edelbrock both recommend in the instructions to use an ignition activated 12 volt power source.

I never thought of using the field side of the alternator. Has this worked for you just fine? What amp inline fuse do you use?

IMG_2617.PNG

That is how they are wired from the factory when an Electric choke is used. Seems it would be the best place. I would run it through an IGN on Relay switched by the field circuit.

The dark blue field wire off the alternator which is the same circuit as the dark blue on the ballast resistor and this is how the factory did it in 73.

What you do not want to do under ANY circumstances is take power from you coil or main distributor feed. Two reasons for this:

1. That circuit is always unfused and you do not want to wire an electric choke to an unfused circuit. If it were to short out, it would just continue to burn and melt the entire time the ignition was turned to the “on” position because there would be no fuse to keep the circuit in check.
  2. Most stock primary ignition circuits are wired through a resistance wire, which only allows about 8.6 to 9.6 volts to the coil. This would not be enough voltage to properly operate your electric choke.

Holley and edelbrock both recommend in the instructions to use an ignition activated 12 volt power source.

I never thought of using the field side of the alternator. Has this worked for you just fine? What amp inline fuse do you use?

View attachment 379146

I used a 10 amp fuse. You can also tap into the windshield wiper feed wire, as that is also a 12-volt ignition fused circuit.

Double male piggybacks are really nice,just make sure nothing touches them.

I wired it through my fuse panel "radio key on" 10amp fuse (I don't have a radio never will). But as stated above, I have to be careful not to leave the ACC on otherwise the choke will be getting power. But there is no reason for me to leave the ACC key on since as I stated above, no radio :)

But if I did have a radio I would wire the choke to the RUN on my ignition and add the 10 amp fuse between that and the choke. The choke should only get power when the engine is running.

And whatever you do make sure you DON'T wire it to constant power haha.

If you have the original wiring harness, wouldn't there be a connection right there near the carb?

If you have the original wiring harness, wouldn't there be a connection right there near the carb?
That is correct!

You can see it in this photo just in front of the coil, the double blue wire that connects to the choke control module and the white wire coming off of it goes to the choke actuator.
20131128_080202.jpg

Okay, I wired it into the ACC output on the fuse block.

that will source it when key in ACC which is incorrect, must be just when car goes to be on ignition process. If you put the key on ign for some time, then start up the engine, the choke will be opened incorrectly.

actually the same happens when you set the key in RUN without crank it up, but I think you will barelly left the key in RUN to heard, let's say the Radio

this was corrected on even later cars, getting a switch built into the oil sender, just providing the RUN circuit source to the choke if engine is running

those senders/switchs are available around

that will source it when key in ACC which is incorrect, must be just when car goes to be on ignition process. If you put the key on ign for some time, then start up the engine, the choke will be opened incorrectly.

So what happens if I have the key turned to ACC for a period and turn the ignition off and then start the car?

Auto Transport Service
Back