• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Power Steering Box - Which One?

PurpleBeeper

Local time
7:43 PM
Reaction score
My power steering box is leaking fluid like a river. I'm looking at the Firm Feel website and am wondering which one (level 1, 2 or 3) you'd guys recommend.
http://www.firmfeel.com/b_body_mopar_power_steering_box_rebuild.html

Power Steering Box

All FFI Power Steering boxes are thoroughly cleaned and inspected; the cases are machined for roller bearing sector supports, and the worm gear assemblies are resized. The box is then fitted with Firm Feel's exclusive reaction springs, ranging in three steps from slightly firmer than the OE police box to two steps firmer yet, depending on your needs. All boxes are bench tested and shipped ready to install.
ffi_power_steering_box_rebuild_1.jpg
Stages I, II, III (Rebuilds)

PSB1.......$359
PSB2.......$359
PSB3.......$379

Steering Box Core Charge
PSC........$200

Powder Coat (Black)
PC.........$125

Pot Connector Kit
PK0.........$25

High/Low Pressure Hose
PSBPH......Starting at $60

Rag Joint ('73 and up)
RJ0.........$50
Or should I look at a different box?

I don't like the idea of cutting up my steering shaft too much (Borgenson box)....maybe, but I'd prefer not to. I also came from manual steering and don't want to go back to it (parallel parking).

Stage 2 hands down.....Track and strip use stage 3....Stage one is slightly better than stock....

Oldest one I have done by them currently is 10 years and no problems......

Worst part of it all is the shipping cost to and fro....

Try http://www.steerandgear.com
I used them twenty years ago and still fine, I got the stage 2 and love the feel.

Last year I had a box rebuilt by a steering shop two miles from me for a 73 mustang, they made it close to a stage 2 feel for $125

Have a FF stage 1 for ten years. Straight. Would get stage 2 next time.

Go stage 2, you'll love it!

i got a leaker too

take a look at bergman autocraft. they make a non-cutting borgeson kit. pricey though.

http://bergmanautocraft.com

i may go the bergman route. will just drive as is and do something after summer.

watermelon

I have the Borgenson power steering box on my 69' Dart GT, works good. I do need a new steering column (aftermarket, Flaming River or IDIDIT) cause this eBay special is a pile!

Try http://www.steerandgear.com
I used them twenty years ago and still fine, I got the stage 2 and love the feel.

Last year I had a box rebuilt by a steering shop two miles from me for a 73 mustang, they made it close to a stage 2 feel for $125

I put a Steer and Gear Stage 2 in my 70 RR. Very satisfied.

Just purchased a FF stage 2 should have it Monday and should be replacing the old one then. The guy at firm feel suggested dtage 2 as a great alternative. Really nice guy and really fast order to build time. Would buy from him again.

I just put a Firm Feel, Stage 2 on my 62 Dodge. I put on Radial Tires and it drive really well. No more hunting and changing lanes. The only draw back is that it cost me $78 to ship the core back for the $200 deposit. I give them a 5 Star.

My stage 1 FF is as straight at triple digits as at 70. After reading here, I'm thinking about swapping for a 2. Never happy. The stage 1 is an amazing transformation when comparing it to the original box that had about 70k on it. Hmm.

Stage 2, 17" rims and anti roll bar on the rear, Dennis, you'll be carving canyons like a pro.

Keep the cardboard box and packing foam once the rebuild gearbox is returned. That way, you'll have a shipping box ready to go when you do your next project car.

:thumbsup:

I have a FF stage 2 on my 70 Road Runner. I had the car up to 107 MPH on my drive across country. It does wonders for the steering - I can't recommend it enough.

One (pretty obvious) note: A FF stage 2 steering box is only as good as the rest of the components on the front end. I rebuilt my entire front end on my 70 and I swear it feels pretty close to modern day steering. I also put a FF stage 2 box on my son's 73 Road Runner. The results were not as good because his front end is a quite a bit looser. Still a noticeable improvement though...

Hey guys,

I was looking into a replacement for my steering box and came across this thread.
By reading the experiences here i want to go for a stage 2 box, but what is the deal with Firm Feel?
Do i send my own steering box that gets rebuild?
Or do they send a rebuild one and i return my old one as core exchange?
How i understand, you will receive $200 for your unit so by just buying a rebuild one without returning the old one you will pay $559 or am i wrong here?

Due to shipping costs will be pretty high to the Netherlands i wonder it might not be worth doing core exchange, instead just order a rebuild one.

Due to shipping costs will be pretty high to the Netherlands i wonder it might not be worth doing core exchange, instead just order a rebuild one.

First, the Firm Feel Stage 2 made a real difference. I ordered a box from them and returned the old one. My shipping was $78.00 form Louisiana to Washington State, so that came out of the $200 core charge. It is pretty heavy. 34 pounds IIRC

Shipping that weight at my place will be $200 alone, so i wonder if returning my old box and paying another shipping run on top will balance out.
Most likely it will be more expensive.

Just checked at ebay:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mopar-Power...ash=item2f072083bf:g:H~YAAOSwEPtZY3fk&vxp=mtr

For me this item will be $171 for shipping.
This one is a standard rebuild box, would it be worth the extra $150 - $200 to order a rebuild from Firm Feel compared to this ebay example?

Last edited:
I have bought parts from Firm Feel before and went to them for my power steering box out of loyalty. If you know exactly what you want and don't need any technical support, they may be ok for that. I went with Steer and Gear ultimately, merely because I didn't have that strange feeling of smoke leaking out of my pants when I got off the phone with them. S&G suggested I didn't spend extra money for something that I wouldn't be happy with and were able to explain why. This was something FF wasn't able to do. Firm Feel's view was take your chance. Sometimes you need a professionals advice and it came at the right time for me.

FF has rebuilt two boxes for me - manual for the Dart and p/s for the Coronet. After talking with Dick (the owner) I went with the Stage III on the Coronet. Love it. It's analogous to the "heavy" steering feel at low speeds that I had with my C6 Corvette. Doesn't make it harder to turn, just very compliant. I also installed tubular A arms and dialed in additional positive caster so the combination of the two makes the Coronet a blast to drive.

It costs more, but IMHO the rebuild of your existing unit is the better alternative than E-bay; you already know what you have.

Shipping that weight at my place will be $200 alone, so i wonder if returning my old box and paying another shipping run on top will balance out.
Most likely it will be more expensive.

Just checked at ebay:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mopar-Power-Steering-Gear-Box-E-B-Body-CUDA-Challenger-Charger-Coronet-1970-Date-/201983034303?fits=Year:1969|Make:Dodge|Model:Coronet&epid=110051880&hash=item2f072083bf:g:H~YAAOSwEPtZY3fk&vxp=mtr

For me this item will be $171 for shipping.
This one is a standard rebuild box, would it be worth the extra $150 - $200 to order a rebuild from Firm Feel compared to this ebay example?

I put a Steer and Gear Stage 2 box in my 70 RR and it greatly improved the steering/handling/feedback over the standard box. I would pay the extra $200.

Auto Transport Service
Back