• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Power steering conversion

Gregg DeGeorge

Local time
8:21 AM
Reaction score
Hello ;still working I my swap from manual to power steering it’s a68 Roadrunner which had manual steer I bought a power box from a 70 Challenger used used pump and brackets those bolted in fine ;I’m stuck with the column I changed the shaft to a shorter one from a b body that had power steering when I try to install the column the three bolt holes from the column bracket to dash are way off ,don’t get what I did wrong are there more than to different lengths for power steering cars .

OK, in what way are they "way off"? I did the same swap you're doing & my power steering shaft came up short. Turns out it had been partially collapsed (not too hard to fix). Does yours seem like it needs to slide further towards the back of the car to line up right?

OK, in what way are they "way off"? I did the same swap you're doing & my power steering shaft came up short. Turns out it had been partially collapsed (not too hard to fix). Does yours seem like it needs to slide further towards the back of the car to line up right?
yes i would have to slide column back to line up the three holes which will then pull
out the coupler ?? thought i had the wrong shaft

So are you saying that’s not a solid steel shaft ??ill check it tonight thanks
Correct. The shaft telescopes like an antennae. It is a big pain, but you may need to take the column back out & pull it apart again. All the keeps the shaft from collapsing is two, tiny, weak plastic "shear pins" which break ULTRA easily. You can see where they were once lined up If you look closely, drill/tap two holes all the way through the hollow outer shaft & solid inner shaft, screw in two nylon hardware store screws (1/8" or so) & trim off the excess. This will make you a new set of shear pins.

Like PurpleBeeper said,I collapsed mine and had to fix it.

Thanks so much it makes sense now ;must have put that in and 10 times trying to figure out what could be done thanks mine needs an 1 inch should do it

Auto Transport Service
Back