• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Power Steering coupler fastener question

vegiguy

Local time
5:08 AM
Reaction score
What type of fastener was used on the steering coupler collar that goes over the input shaft of the steering gear on the '71-74 models (for some reason mine is missing)? It looks like the hole is clearanced for either a 5/16" bolt or a 5/16" hitch pin. If a bolt was used it would have had to have a very low profile nut threaded to it as a regular thickness 5/16" nut won't clear the bolt coming thru the steering coupler, which pokes thru right in front of the hole where the fastener in question comes thru. I don't know whether this collar is supposed to clamp over the steering gear input shaft or just keep the collar from pulling off of it (which it can't do anyway unless the steering column would come completely loose from the car). Unfortunately my 1973 Chrysler service manual doesn't show this fastener in the one picture it has showing the B-bodies steering column assembly.

Thank you for any information.

Well I wanna say 5/16

oh after some thinking it’s 5/16 for sure unless it’s been modified

It’s 5/16.

Part number 2266743 Which it doesn't show in this image from the FSM. I think Mopar still has them.

upload_2020-7-6_19-55-29.png

I got a 5/16" X 1" tension pin today at it was a nice tight tension fit. It took quite a few taps with the hammer to get it fully seated in the hole. Hopefully I finally have the steering on this car sorted out now with new seals on the steering gear and a PS pump with a new belt.

Auto Transport Service
Back