• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Power Steering Fluid vs. Trans Fluid In System?

Al K

Local time
4:58 PM
Reaction score
Got into a discussion with another old fart from work about our cars;was telling him what I'd done to mine,yadayada. The subject of what fluid to use in an older power steering system came up. I just had my steering box rebuilt,and when I removed the caps over the fittings,red trans fluid,not clear p.s. fluid came out. I recall reading somewhere about the use of trans fluid in a p.s. system as being fine. Hmmm...

Your thoughts,folks? I'm ready to fill my reservoir;had been running off-the-shelf p.s. fluid with no problems.

Either is fine but i have always used trans fluid in my stuff. I have always been told the trans fluid is a little better because it is higher detergent.

They make two different fuilds for a reason.

Trans fluid will work but PS fluid is better.

If you have a whine in your PS box, drain the trans fluid out of it and replace it with PS fluid and 9 times out of 10 the whine will go away.

either fluid is ok to use, i've never had a problem using trans fluid. Hell my old ford pickup p/s pump is full of chainsaw chain oil right now....i broke down in the bush, and that's all i had....and it works fine! hahaha. A little thick though!...lol I'll fix it properly...someday..lol

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I was always told they are the same except for an anti-foaming additive for the trans.(I believe). guess the PS doesn't mind a little foam.

They make two different fuilds for a reason.

Trans fluid will work but PS fluid is better.

If you have a whine in your PS box, drain the trans fluid out of it and replace it with PS fluid and 9 times out of 10 the whine will go away.

Thought red whine goes with anything:eusa_whistle:

Seriously,I wonder what's in the LUCAS p/s additive that makes the whine go away:shruggy:

Got into a discussion with another old fart from work about our cars;was telling him what I'd done to mine,yadayada. The subject of what fluid to use in an older power steering system came up. I just had my steering box rebuilt,and when I removed the caps over the fittings,red trans fluid,not clear p.s. fluid came out. I recall reading somewhere about the use of trans fluid in a p.s. system as being fine. Hmmm...

Your thoughts,folks? I'm ready to fill my reservoir;had been running off-the-shelf p.s. fluid with no problems.

Once upon a time PS fluid was red, so that might have been PS fluid you saw.
They are virtually the same fluid, PS fluid does not have the anti foaming agent and detergents.

Auto Transport Service
Back