• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Power steering gear/pump refresh?

Rusty 72

Local time
7:43 PM
Reaction score
Hi all

So I'm redoing most of my engine compartment due to a new motor going in. I just removed the Power steering assembly and had removed the "valve body" and the fluid was very dark and thick. I'm wondering if anybody has ever Refreshed one of these units by rinsing them out with anything? If you're gonna do a job might as well do a good one right?

The power steering had been working great before I removed it.

Thanks Jeanette

Power steering fluid would be a good choice. Did you make alignment marks on the valve body for re-assembly? You do know that if the valve body is not installed correctly it can cause the steering wheel to turn violently on start up?
I only mention this in case you don't know. Disregard if otherwise.

If all was working good and no leaks, I would just empty everything and refill with fresh fluid.

Power steering fluid would be a good choice. Did you make alignment marks on the valve body for re-assembly? You do know that if the valve body is not installed correctly it can cause the steering wheel to turn violently on start up?
I only mention this in case you don't know. Disregard if otherwise.

ohhh. I actually didn't know that? I made no marks. I only removed it because the lines were fighten me and it seemed an easier solution than to twist a line.
Is it something I can just beware of? How violent is it?

It depends. I'll post an article from Mopar Action about it. Hold on.

Aeronets Post#2 pay attention to it. You can be seriously injured if wheel whips around.

IMG_4147.JPG
IMG_4148.JPG
IMG_4149.JPG

I had to do it a couple of years ago when I replaced the steering gear. The wheel turned to the right a little bit on start up.
It's a delicate operation.

I take you're not familiar with the "skosh chart" by Richard Ehrenberg.

You can see it on Allpar. It's about alignment specs for older cars that were originally equiped with bias ply tires but now sport radials.

Now I had to google skosh. Its an actual word. Not just something my mom would say to us kids when she needed more room. "Honey could you move over a skosh"

Auto Transport Service
Back