• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Power Steering Gear??????

cr8crshr

Local time
12:33 AM
Reaction score
Just doing some preliminary research here for my 1966 Ply Sat. Has power steering. I removed the steering gear box a number of years ago when I first started the project and cleaned and inspected it to include the low pressure valve. I reassembled and painted it and along with new steering linkage and all, replaced it and added new pitman arm, idler arm, center link and tie rods, lower ball joints, pretty much all the steering and suspension. Now that the car is back together and running, I will be taking it to have the front end aligned. I have the ride height where I like it. There is some slop in the steering which is most likely the steering gear itself. Again it is the original one to the car. If the slop is still there when I get the alignment, then it will have to be replaced with either a new one or rebuilt one. As far as whom to choose, I have looked at Firm Feel's and the Borgeson/Bergman offerings that are out there. Like them both a lot but the prices are a tad too high for the budget right now. If I can for the time being I will continue to use the original until I get the $$$$'s saved up to do either. That being said, I was looking at the offerings that the major parts stores offer and there pricing is really good for those on a budget such as I am. So my question is this...The offerings from say NAPA or Auto Zone...Who here has used them and what is the overall impression of these re-manufactured units? Reliable, firm and responsive, etc.? If they will give me a good feel to when I am driving, then I might as well save the bucks here to put it elswhere...cr8crshr/Tuck

I would give Tom a call over at steer & gear. I can't remember what I paid but he rebuilt my original and gave it a firmer feel than factory. Couldn't be happier.

I got mine from Oriellys, was just fine. But the factory style boxes have slop in them, so I just recently put a FF stage 2 power box on mine.....what a huge difference. I picked it up from a member over on fabo, he never used it, so it was new, but I paid only a few hundred for it.

I had a local guy rebuild mine with the firm feel (was standard) almost 20 years later and it still feels new, local parts store gave me his name.

How's you steering column? New upper and lower bearings? New coupler or kit installed? These parts can induce slop if worn.

I just recently replaced my worn/sloppy unit with a reco unit from A1 Cardone. A massive improvement for not alot of coin.

Generally you get what you pay for though, and I hear the FF units are way better again.

Firm Feel did mine and I couldnt be happier. I can actually drive my car and not feel like I'm gonna lose control.

How's you steering column? New upper and lower bearings? New coupler or kit installed? These parts can induce slop if worn.

All that was re-conditioned and replaced when I disassembled the car. Good points but I already have those parts covered...

define "slop" in the steering gear....are the "coupler shoes" installed correctly? If there is only a little play in the steering, it can be adjusted with the sector adjustment screw on the top of the box

Auto Transport Service
Back