• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Power Steering Gearbox Identification

MoparGuy68

Local time
2:31 PM
Reaction score
I have a replacement PS Gearbox that I’m trying to identify, to determine if it is correct for a 1971 Dodge Charger Super Bee. I have no idea what car the gearbox came from.

Below I have listed the codes that are cast into my replacement gearbox and one shown in my chassis service manual.

My replacement Gearbox:
2N (What does this mean?)
G-2267262
I.68 (Does this mean it was manufactured in 1968?)

(Gearbox pictured in my Dodge 1971 chassis service manual)
1N (what does this mean?)
G-2267262
I.69 (Does this mean manufactured in 1969?)

Are there differences in the shaft diameter that attaches to the steering arm? If there are, how do I confirm what the diameter should be for my car without removing the existing gearbox from the car?

The gearbox that is currently in the car leaks badly, and I’m unable to see any of the codes on it. Any help would be appreciated.

The service manual commonly uses older photographs, not current model year photos.

I've decided not to have the extra stock replacement gearbox rebuilt that came with the car. Instead I am going to get the Borgeson Power Steering gearbox, pump, and hoses. And the Bergman Auto Craft Direct-Fit Mopar coupler. The headers on my car are extremely close to the stock gearbox. I should gain more header clearance with the Borgeson, along with the other benefits over a rebuilt stock gearbox.

Now I need to determine which steering pitman arm is currently on my car so I can order the correct gearbox. Should either be 1 1/8" or 1 1/4" sector shaft. Being a 1971 Charger Super Bee, I think it should have originally had the 1 1/8" from the factory. The current arm looks like it probably is the 1 1/8".

Could anyone confirm that from my photos? Hopefully I won't have to remove the arm to be sure.. As I'd like to order the new steering gearbox before the old gearbox is removed, which can't happen until I drive the car over to the shop that will perform the swap. You can see the leaking fluid has wet everything around the gearbox under the car, including the K-frame.

IMG_0607.jpg IMG_0609.jpg IMG_0612.jpg IMG_0621.jpg IMG_0627.jpg

1 1/8" sector shafts were used from 1962 to 1972. 1 1/4" sector shafts were used from 1973 to at least 1979. This goes for A, B and E Bodies. I think C-Bodies always used the larger size shaft. My car has the smaller 1 1/8" shaft, as I was able to measure and confirm it.

Last edited:
The Borgeson guy claims a 14 to 1 ratio and 3 1/2 turns lock to lock. I find that strange since the stock P/S box is 15.7 and also 3 1/2 turns.
Of course...The turns lock to lock depend on the position of the steering stops on the lower ball joints and control arms AND whether the tires rub the frame rails. Mine rub.

What size wheels and tires are you running up front? My 71 Challenger originally had 14x5 wheels on it, which I put 225/70/14 tires on, and they never touched the frame rails. When I upgraded to 15x7 wheels with 245/60/15 tires, the tires did contact the frame rails, reducing my turning radius. That car had stock manual steering, and in 12 years time, I NEVER had any issues with the steering box and never had to do anything to it. I much prefer the feel of the stock manual steering when the car is moving, over the stock PS with its excessive assist.

My Charger currently has 245/60/14 tires on what I think are 14x6 wheels. Next time I jack the car up, I'll see if they contact the frame rails and how many turns I get from lock to lock.

Auto Transport Service
Back