• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Power steering gearbox seal

Bob Sawyer

Local time
2:14 AM
Reaction score
I resealed my ps gearbox on my 68 Charger. The one seal I missed is the oring seal underneath the locknut for the adjustment screw. After startup and running for a short while it started seeping oil out.I pulled the old seal out and it was cracked and hardened from age. Not having the correct seal, I installed a close matching oring. Well, it's starting to seep oil out again.
Does anyone know where I can order the correct seal without buying a complete seal kit?

20190414_163253.jpg

Thanks guys but that is the seal kit for the pitman shaft only. Doesn't include the seal that I need. I think I will order the complete seal kit. It is available from several sources. Was hoping to find just the one seal...no luck.

If you have a local hydraulic supply try them. I've gotten several miscellaneous O-rings from one here, for my power steering gear and other parts and they are cheap...like 50 cents a piece cheap(no mopar tax LOL) for the good ones..(best to take your old one with you so you get the correct size.)

Thanks guys but that is the seal kit for the pitman shaft only. Doesn't include the seal that I need. I think I will order the complete seal kit. It is available from several sources. Was hoping to find just the one seal...no luck.

Check my thread on this I believe we had the same issue! I used the original fitting with a new crush washer from a good napa store. It was the hollow type which is a lower pressure type but its been holding up fine. It was their last one of that size and the guy told me I could just have it. The new fitting I got that used a rubber ORing I got for $3 at a hydraulic shop rated to 3000PSI but I never used it. If it was toleranced then it should have worked. I have seen that fitting for sale on some Mopar site for $65 lol

https://www.forbbodiesonly.com/mopa...g-compression-fitting-driving-me-nuts.168389/

Bummer, thought it would have been what you were looking for.
Did you re seal the gear in the car?

Auto Transport Service
Back