• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Power steering hose correctl

Vicb440

Local time
3:30 AM
Reaction score
Is this the correct power steering hose on my 1968 Plymouth satellite. The car is a 273 small block car. I think it’s wrong because it’s rubbing on the exhaust manifold. Is the steering box correct too? I’m aware that they’re two types on these 68-70 b bodies. Please discuss below. Thanks

D1FCE228-139D-457B-B234-6545A3E13BA7.jpeg

B94EFBD5-2A63-43D8-A4C1-3EA22719FD68.jpeg

E96673EB-5C03-4EC5-9292-B15EB552CDE7.jpeg

You got several things going on there. You do not use that 90 degree adapter on the gear box. And the hose looks to be correct but not installed in the right position.

I have seen some of the earlier 60's B-bodies use the 90° adapter for oem replacement hoses that are clocked to mount at a right angle in relation to the box. The original 68 hoses should have a U shaped bend to mount straight down onto the box. Your Saginaw pump looks like it uses a 2891109 hose originally. I believe that era mostly used the round fill tube Federal/TRW pumps. The hose definitely looks like a universal aftermarket piece. The original Federal hose ran straight down after the pump then with a u shaped bend came up to meet the top of the box, avoiding getting anywhere near the manifold.
Mopar NOS 1966-68 B& 67 Ply/Dodge C-Body 273/318/383 P/S Pressure Hose 2891109 | eBay

Last edited:
I have seen some of the earlier 60's B-bodies use the 90° adapter for oem replacement hoses that are clocked to mount at a right angle in relation to the box. The original 68 hoses should have a U shaped bend to mount straight down onto the box. Your Saginaw pump looks like it uses a 2891109 hose originally. I believe that era mostly used the round fill tube Federal/TRW pumps. The hose definitely looks like a universal aftermarket piece. The original Federal hose ran straight down after the pump then with a u shaped bend came up to meet the top of the box, avoiding getting anywhere near the manifold.
Mopar NOS 1966-68 B& 67 Ply/Dodge C-Body 273/318/383 P/S Pressure Hose 2891109 | eBay
The 90 degree is not common on B-Bodies unless you have a Hemi. The hose looks correct but it is bent back instead of a 90 at the pump.

Looks like the hose for a Federal pump car. but has a Saginaw pump

Here's the hose you need to work with the Saginaw pump, and for a good price.
for MOPAR Power Steering Pressure Hose 68-72 Saginaw A,B,C,E-Body 318-340-440+ | eBay
I used to have the same type of hose that the op has now and hated it because the 68 Federal style hose was so difficult to find and it's all that was available for many years. Finally located a correct one (2537981) several years ago. @dmoore has the 90° fitting on his perfectly restored 64 Sport Fury with the 426W.

It also looks like the top fitting on your coupler needs attention.

20230422_110413.jpg

This is a correct replacement hose for mine. Loops underneath getting nowhere near the manifold. Did you order the hose from Rick?

View attachment 1454038
This is a correct replacement hose for mine. Loops underneath getting nowhere near the manifold. Did you order the hose from Rick?
He does not have that style pump and he also has the 90 degree fitting on the box which will not allow the correct routing or fitment. He needs the straight fitting.

Is that a custom made or do you have a Manufacturer and part number? Can you post a picture of the steering box end? In car picture same hose.
IMG_1862.JPG
PS HOSE.jpg

He does not have that style pump and he also has the 90 degree fitting on the box which will not allow the correct routing or fitment. He needs the straight fitting.
Correct, which is why I provided a link to the correct Saginaw style hose. As stated, I have the correct hose for my particular setup. Replacement straight fitting shouldn't be difficult to find.

The 90 degree is not common on B-Bodies unless you have a Hemi. The hose looks correct but it is bent back instead of a 90 at the pump.
I didn't even know about the 90* fitting till I saw some Hemi builds.
Then looking at a 66 500 383 I got recently.. it came with the 90 fitting..

Guys with Hemis might be able to use a hose like that.If it isn't a big dollar hose. May need some mods. The hose I posted earlier is a 66/67 hemi hose.

I didn't even know about the 90* fitting till I saw some Hemi builds.
Then looking at a 66 500 383 I got recently.. it came with the 90 fitting..
I doubt your fitting was stock. But who knows. I know the Hemi cars and A-body big blocks used them. There can be two different sizes on the flare end.

Auto Transport Service
Back