• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Power steering hose mess

1963JAM

Local time
6:29 AM
Reaction score
Does this look right the way the hoses are layed out? One line is rubbing against the battery tray, the other seems too log.
20210924_123715.jpg
20210924_123652.jpg

they all look incorrect as far as i can see in the pics. does your steering gear have the 90 degree fitting on the high pressure port? the high side line may be correct but im sure @Jerry Hall will be along in a few.

Last edited:
No help but my 67 GTX hose is way longer than necessary - probably a replacement. I don’t remember the one in my 64 Sport Fury being excessively long.

Is your return hose around 1/2"? Here's a picture of my spare Omega pressure hose, it's for hemi's . Doubt it's still available.
PS HOSE.jpg

That's sort of the only way to do it.
Originally it wrapped up over the valve cover. But those look like hp manifolds so to they would likely touch.
As far as the 90 degree fitting on the gearbox it just makes it worse. I took it off on mine.
The hose tipped into the header and burned a hole in it.
IMG_20210708_132647592_HDR.jpg
IMG_20210708_132643362.jpg
IMG_20210708_124127551.jpg

You have a C-body only bracket. That’s a full size car.

The return hose goes forward and that is wrong. The 1966 and older return hose is 5/8” diameter. 1967 and newer changed the return line size to 11/32” diameter.

The pressure hose has been replaced and it doesn’t fit very good. Sometime you can run it forward off the pump and curl down and back and that gets it out of the way.

IMG_1695.JPG
IMG_1696.JPG
IMG_1697.JPG
IMG_1700.JPG
IMG_1699.JPG
The 5/8" power steering return hose is a Gates 10RLA. Bought one from Rick Rehrenberg on ebay cheaper if you go to an auto parts place, I would guess. Took the part number off the hose so if I need another.

Last edited:
Does this look right the way the hoses are layed out? One line is rubbing against the battery tray, the other seems too log.View attachment 1171201 View attachment 1171202
The high pressure hose that is touching the battery tray can be bent a little with a pry bar of some type so it isn't touching. The low pressure hose (the one with the big curl in it) can be run any way, or length you want because it is only held on with clamps, just keep it away from the exhaust and belt pulleys.

The pressure hose you have is sort of a common replacement piece that's currently available, but not exactly an oem fit. I used to have that same one for many years and hated it. It took me 25 years to find one, but this is the style you probably need. It's a direct replacement for the original. I was not spending $400 for NOS Mopar.
20210925_122738.jpg

20210925_122808.jpg

The pressure hose has been replaced and it doesn’t fit very good. Sometime you can run it forward off the pump and curl down and back and that gets it out of the way.

that’s the way mine runs, forward under the battery tray and curves back to the pump. I looked for a more correct hose years ago but didn’t find a reasonable (accuracy & price) at the time.

The pressure hose you have is sort of a common replacement piece that's currently available, but not exactly an oem fit. I used to have that same one for many years and hated it. It took me 25 years to find one, but this is the style you probably need. It's a direct replacement for the original. I was not spending $400 for NOS Mopar.
View attachment 1171280

View attachment 1171278
I do like that. Do you remember where you got it from? Or is that a custom piece?

I went to my local Deere dealer and had my high pressure hose made to fit right. It has the 90 degree fittings that are needed, just the right length. Didn’t cost any more than some of the reproduction hoses.

It also looks like your starter cable is routed between the manifold and the head?
It needs to be run down along the inner fender towards the firewall.
They turn down towards the starter near the brake master cylinder.

F9t5Q6dLky7-0SDbuRRA-Z4TKq6kLQujQIfSYINC46-6zvqxvY5fqu_m0SkzesVcAIM-Kr8=w1250-h937-no?authuser=0.jpg

It also looks like your starter cable is routed between the manifold and the head?

View attachment 1171688
I took that pic after I was installing a new battery. Cable hadn't been hooked up yet. But thanks.

View attachment 1171688
I'm hoping the terminal end is just laid there during storage since it's not actually connected in the pic.

Auto Transport Service
Back