• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Power Steering, how much oil?

Nachtfalke

Local time
2:11 PM
Reaction score
Hello everyone, im Stephan from Germany.
Got the engine and transmission pulled for a rebuild and im in the process of ordering all the fluids. I couldn't find any information about how much oil i will need to refill and bleed the power steering setup. Judging by the size of the reservoir im guessing that 2liters(~2,11qt) should be enough?
The car is a non numbers matching 69 charger rt with a 440 and tf727 transmission.

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg

Fill the reservoir to the bottom of the filler neck, but not to the top of the neck itself.

...and check the dipstick after the engine is up to operating temperature, and the steering has been active . :)

That is, if your cap has one. Mine doesn't.

After you fill the PS pump have the front jacked up and turn the wheels back and fourth several times to help bleed the air out of the system. It may take a day or so for it to all bleed out. At first it will look foamy but eventually when the air is gone it will look normal.

Auto Transport Service
Back