• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Power Steering Issues

Local time
1:46 AM
Reaction score
I have a '66 charger that was originally equipped with manual steering. I recently installed a power steering gear box and a TRW power steering pump. The issue I am having is the car is almost too easy to turn to the right, but offers more resistance when turning left. If I turn right or left with the car rolling the car will continue to turn until I manually return the wheel to center. The car tracked and handled fine with the manual steering box. I used the same pitman arm that was on the manual gear box. Not sure if both steering boxes use the same arm. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!727

The pitnam arms are different for MS and PS units....

I jacked up the front of the car and adjusted the valve as badlite suggested. It made a huge improvement as far as making the car feel like it tracks straight. It still doesn't return to center when I let go of the wheel with the car moving. I think I need to have it aligned. I have a big block and a four speed ready to install and will wait until I get them nested in there before I get the alignment done.
Thanks for your help!

Auto Transport Service
Back