• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Power steering pump help needed!

Local time
12:29 PM
Reaction score
Hi, my pump is howling! Sounds like the bearing is bad . I have a 68 GTX with the Federal style with the large notch on the back. I either want to buy a rebuilt one or the parts to rebuild it my self if possible.
I called JIM’S AUTO PARTS just a few minutes ago , the lady was very rude and didn’t seem to have any interest in helping me, like I was bothering her. She said we ain’t go it and hung up on me. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance

Hi, my pump is howling! Sounds like the bearing is bad . I have a 68 GTX with the Federal style with the large notch on the back. I either want to buy a rebuilt one or the parts to rebuild it my self if possible.
I called JIM’S AUTO PARTS just a few minutes ago , the lady was very rude and didn’t seem to have any interest in helping me, like I was bothering her. She said we ain’t go it and hung up on me. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance

(My) stupid question. The fluid level is good?

If yes, a replacement should be available though an auto parts store.
Many people here like Rock Auto, I personally use AutoZone on line and Advanced on occasion.

Your experience with Jim's has been common for decades.
Some things never change.
No need to ever call them again

Some other sites that are good sources are:

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog...+v8,1229015,steering,power+steering+pump,7380
https://www.classicindustries.com/
Herbs Parts
Tony's parts

440 Source does a kit to change to a Saginaw pump if you are interested.
Their pump is a rebuild but it is only around $100
My car came with a Federal but general consensus is the Saginaw pump is far more reliable.
I bought the kit off them and it all worked out fine.

Are you sure it’s not your belt making the noise ?

Large notch should be a TRW pump. Post a pic we can help you ID it. Kits are cheap, under $15 at Rock Auto. You can easily convert to Saginaw too, get the brackets online for $60 and a rebuilt pump from NAPA for $50-60. New pressure line for about $20. You will need to find a pulley and cap. That’s what I did on my one car. The other car is getting its TRW rebuilt as soon as my parts come in this week.

Large notch should be a TRW pump. Post a pic we can help you ID it. Kits are cheap, under $15 at Rock Auto. You can easily convert to Saginaw too, get the brackets online for $60 and a rebuilt pump from NAPA for $50-60. New pressure line for about $20. You will need to find a pulley and cap. That’s what I did on my one car. The other car is getting its TRW rebuilt as soon as my parts come in this week.
Some refurbished pumps come with nice plastic caps/dipsticks. Both pumps will work perfectly fine on any of these cars. The best thing to do concerning the pump/ steering gear etc. Is to replace the old hardened valve body seals on the steering gear valve body. It’s as simple as simple can be. It only takes a few minutes. These seals are very known to leak because quite a few of them are most likely original. They get hard due to age and heat. You most likely had a leak somewhere running the pump dry that’s why it’s probably making noise now. Before you do anything. Try a bottle of Lucas power steering stop leak. That stuff surprising fixes issues quite often. Especially, leaks.

Auto Transport Service
Back