• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Power steering pump help

65-440

Local time
11:06 AM
Reaction score
On my 68 coronet, 383, having some trouble with the power steering return hose rubbing the bottom of battery tray. I've already had to trim the return hose due to hole from rubbing the tray. The pump is very close to the battery tray, absolutely no way to route that hose and not touch the tray. I'm starting the think I have the wrong pump, bracket, or both. If I remember it's a TRW pump(big notch) ... here are some pictures ....

20170608_101103.jpg 20170608_101115.jpg

I think you're correct that you have a TRW pump. If it is the RETURN hose (little/no pressure), why not put in a 90-degree nipple & just use transmission cooler 3/8" hose? Sorry if this is complete stupid, but "seems" right in my head.
upload_2017-6-8_11-36-0.png

Yeah but that would still be against the bottom side of the battery tray, wouldn't be a problem if I ran solid engine mounts which isn't gonna happen ! I've looked through a ton of pictures and can find anything where the pump is interfering with the battery tray like mine is.

Cant really tell with the angle of the picture but could you run a little longer belt to get it to drop away from the tray or shorter belt to get it out from under it ?

It looks like you have the adjustment available to use a shorter belt, that may work. Rockauto.com shows Saginaw, Federal, and Thompson pumps available for a '68 Coronet with a 440.

I'd start start looking for a Saginaw, they're cheap and plentiful. They want a $500 core charge for the Federal/Thompson pumps!!

Last edited:
Cant really tell with the angle of the picture but could you run a little longer belt to get it to drop away from the tray or shorter belt to get it out from under it ?
I like this idea, just bring it to the parts store to get the size you need. Save the one you have now as an emergency spare.

I believe my problem is in the bracket. That bracket is one of those 66/67 auto tensioning brackets. Looking at a bunch of pictures, looks like if I get the correct 68+ TRW bracket it should pull the pump closer to the water pump housing and away from the battery tray...

Auto Transport Service
Back