• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Power Steering Pump Leaking - Replacement

70RoadRrunner

Local time
4:49 AM
Reaction score
I am looking to replace the power steering pump on my 70RR with 383.

I believe it is a Saginaw unit with a keyed shaft (not pressed on).

Will the 440Source unit be a good replacement?

upload_2020-6-25_12-22-39.png

upload_2020-6-25_12-23-5.png

IMG_3077[1].JPG
IMG_3078[1].JPG

looks to be exactly what you need. I would also replace the pressure hose and fan belt that spins it while you have pulled apart. Good Luck

I fitted one of their rebuilt pumps and no problems so far.

Why replace? If not damaged, buy a rebuild kit (new seals etc) and do it yourself. It will be as good as new, and I suspect better quality than replacement units.

How do I know which exact rebuild kit to get.
Are there specific numbers stamped somewhere?

I agree with SD Coronet about getting the rebuild kit to reseal you original Saginaw unit. The picture of the new pump that is from 440Source is not the correct looking one. The Saginaw pumps are very easy to reseal. Where does yours leak?

Do a search at any auto parts store, napa/amazon etc. The Saginaw kit is common and universal. The overhaul is relatively straightforward and easy to do. I did mine after looking at some youtube videos.

One example:

Better to stick with OEM it's lasted this long & the chi-com crap won't. Rebuild kit is the way to go.

Yes rebuild it your self and save money. It is the steering sector that I always had problem's with. But found out that they make a sleeve to help with the out put shaft when it was scored.

Auto Transport Service
Back