• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

power steering pump rebuild

velrob

Local time
3:12 AM
Reaction score
Trying to take apart the power steering gear to rebuild while i wait for my 727 parts

im hammering this thing with all my might but it didnt budge.

so i thought id ask here if im doing it correctly. please see the picture. im trying to wack it there so the cover will unscrew off

the other side i would do the same but havent tried that one yet.

thx

2016-09-12_13-09_jpg - Photos.jpg

Last edited:
Trying to remove that nut as you say by "whacking " it in one of the slots is likely to just damage the slot. That is a thin wall large dia. nut and applying force to all or most of the slots at the same time is needed.
You should try to find the right socket made for that. (perhaps rent it)
BTW you called that a "power steering pump" It's the steering gear. Do you have a FSM? Rebuilding one of those for the first time without a FSM to guide you will be a challenge.

ya i realized after i called it a pump and it was the gear but didnt bother to change the posting

i was able to get it off finally.

but the slot did get damaged a bit as seems they are fairly soft, i used some angle angle to get into the slot as best as possible and it finally turned

do you mean there is a special socket for that large circular part? i didnt know that i saw some guys unwind it by using a pipe or such and hitting it with a hammer with the pipe in one of the slots. i never seen a socket that large before, do you have a link for one? maybe i can find one for the other smaller side.

Do you have a FSM? Rebuilding one of those for the first time without a FSM to guide you will be a challenge.

You obviously didn't read this last sentence as well as not having a FSM at your disposal with that comment. Just sayin

Sorry im not a pro so i did search google for an FSM brough up a ton of other stuff unrelated, hence why I asked for a link, just sayin.

I searched for "FSM tool" and "FSM power steering box" "FSM power steering gear"

all ended up useless results. but i already took it off thank.
just sayin.

Last edited:
Sorry im not a pro so if i search google for an FSM it will probably bring up a ton of other stuff unrelated as I already tried to google it, hence why I asked for a link, just sayin.

On the other hand--a google search may just bring up the FSM you need.
This is what you need. I did the google search thing for you.https://www.amazon.com/Repair-Manual-Reprint-Charger-Coronet/dp/B00435JX2O

I just picked 69 as a year but for what you are working on it's got what you need to know for your task. The price might seem high just to get info for the steering gear but if you get one for the year and make of the car you have it is a good/cheap investment worth many times the price.

Last edited:
Sorry im not a pro so i did search google for an FSM brough up a ton of other stuff unrelated, hence why I asked for a link, just sayin.

I searched for "FSM tool" and "FSM power steering box" "FSM power steering gear"

all ended up useless results. but i already took it off thank.
just sayin.

BTW getting the nut off does not mean you are home free. Taking it apart further without knowing what's up can cost you several times the cost of the FSM.--Just sayin--

i didnt know what FSM abbreviation stood for so i thought it was a tool

but it seems you meant full serivce manual. i didnt think to look in there for a guide for the box

thanks alot. i took a look just now and see some information there. i will read it over, thanks.

i didnt know what FSM abbreviation stood for so i thought it was a tool

but it seems you meant full serivce manual. i didnt think to look in there for a guide for the box

thanks alot. i took a look just now and see some information there. i will read it over, thanks.

FSM = Field service manual---Sorry for not making that more clear.
I'm one of those old guys that grew up with these cars and tend to forget that people new to them can use a leg up to bypass the falls we made.

You will find details of great value for the whole car--thus the value of having one on hand that includes the car you have.
You are welcome:thumbsup:

Last edited:
You can download the whole FSM for free at mymopar.com

mymopar only has the body manual :) i looked there way back when i just got the car. i had to buy it off ebay.

but i guess i could of even looked at 2nd gen charger manual since the steering box i guess is the same.

looks like i can use a spanner wrench to take off the other one so im looking for one good to have also

A power steering gearbox rebuild is not for the beginner. If you just want to reseal it that's one thing. A rebuild and make it perform like new,send it out. I was a front suspension dealer tech with 25 years of experience. There are internal parts you have no access to purchase to improve the feel. I build almost everything engines, trans, axle, body sheet metal, roll cages and personally wouldn't even bother to do my own.
Doug

i just want to reseal it and clean it up. still to difficult ?

ya i realized after i called it a pump and it was the gear but didnt bother to change the posting
please fix this "gear vs pump" problem. It will help other interested parties. I'm about to take on a similar task, but going to focus on resealing the unit vs taking it apart and gawd knows what happens then.

ive fixed the original message :)

i was reading the service manual trying to understand it. looks like the 69 charger manual has much better pictures than mine so im using that. to reseal the unit it doesnt need to be taken fully apart? what about the rings or bearings ? can i access those without fully disassembling it?

A power steering gearbox rebuild is not for the beginner. If you just want to reseal it that's one thing. A rebuild and make it perform like new,send it out. I was a front suspension dealer tech with 25 years of experience. There are internal parts you have no access to purchase to improve the feel. I build almost everything engines, trans, axle, body sheet metal, roll cages and personally wouldn't even bother to do my own.
Doug
Listen to this guy. That box is perhaps the most touchy unit in the entire car and the odds are great that you will end up needing another box.

Listen to this guy. That box is perhaps the most touchy unit in the entire car and the odds are great that you will end up needing another box.

Agreed. I'm a mechanical engineer and won't even think about opening one up. It's a specialized skill set.....i remember a line from a movie.....how was it...hrrrmmm " I have a specialized set of skills"! With that said.....I'm all about trying to tear into the external set of seals on the input and output shafts...any details there I would love to consume and share if I could.

i already have the rebuild kit i ordered awhile ago. but it definitely does look like the toughest thing to work with.. if i fail i will send mine out to be rebuilt.

i will tell farely quickly when my steering is jacked :)

thx

Haha I decided im gonna order a rebuild by Lares Corp. I guess itll be worse if the gear failed that i was resealing and my car decided to steer on its own :). Not worth the $150 bucks CDN in bodily injury or my life with all the work im putting into the car.

Auto Transport Service
Back