• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Power Steering Pump Relief Valve

Local time
12:37 AM
Reaction score
Rebuilding my power steering pump - 1970 Roadrunner, Saginaw with banjo style reservoir. I lost the pressure relief "ball" and cannot find it anywhere. I hate buying a new pump for this part and I don't know if there are replacement pressure relief valves that come with this missing ball. Any ideas?

I have this style pump on a kmember in my back yard. Where is the pressure relief ball located. I can remove it from that PS pump if you need it. Its probably never going to get used. But it was a 318 Poly car so not absolutely sure its the same. I can check it out tomorrow. Crap the one I have may be a Federal.. I will check tomorrow.

The one I have looks like the pump in the center. Not the one to the left.
psp-1024x799.jpg

Last edited:
I've rebuilt allot of those pumps, not sure what "ball" your referring to.. They have a flow control/relief valve & spring behind the pressure line fitting but no ball...

I have this style pump on a kmember in my back yard. Where is the pressure relief ball located. I can remove it from that PS pump if you need it. Its probably never going to get used. But it was a 318 Poly car so not absolutely sure its the same. I can check it out tomorrow. Crap the one I have may be a Federal.. I will check tomorrow.

The one I have looks like the pump in the center. Not the one to the left.
View attachment 928250
Same pump different housing.

I know the ball you're talking about. Finding a replacement would be easy enough since they're used in many things. BUT ... I bet you don't know the size. Maybe call "Steer and Gear" or someone like that - I'm sure they'd have a box full of spares.

BeepBeepRR - see pic I got straight out of manual showing "pressure relief ball" I was talking about. Never actually saw it, I more heard it when the unit popped out. I have searched for it to no avail. I don't want you to go to any trouble but appreciate your response. The image you posted is slightly different than mine and it makes me wonder if I am hearing things. 1 Wild R/T post seems to think there isn't a ball at all. The concave in the tip of the of the flow control valve seems perfect to hold a ball - I have never done a steering pump rebuild.

If willing, let me know & I will PM you my address. Happy to pay for it and postage. Let me know.

IMG_1413[2094].jpg

You can see it in my pic - this is the order it assembles in. Sorry, don’t know the size. That’s sounds like something I would do. This is the “Pump it down” modification from Ehrenberg and Mopar Action to reduce the amount of assist.

B82CFF65-CF3B-4C4C-BAB4-91B7F94AFEA9.jpeg

Do you want one or just the size of it? I may have one. BTW do you have a copy of that article, I've been looking for it.

Stripped the paint off the housing (see pic), as you can see from the "hammered screw driver marks" that go all the way around it, I think this pump was messed with prior. I am missing parts. Funny thing is, it worked when I purchased the car 4-years ago.
IMG_1418[2161].jpg
IMG_1418[2161].jpg
IMG_1418[2161].jpg
IMG_1418[2161].jpg
IMG_1419[2159].jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back