• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Power steering pump shaft endplay?

Grizzlys Garage

Local time
6:44 AM
Reaction score
How much in and out slop is acceptable on a power steering pump shaft ?

I just bought a remanufactured Saginaw style pump, and when I went to install the pulley I noticed what seems to me to be excessive in and out movement on the shaft. about 0.060" or 1/16", possibly more.

I'd really like to avoid the belt slinging off the pulley, wrapping itself around the fan, causing the fan to chew up my brand new GlenRay radiator and spewing hot coolant all over my detailed engine compartment.

That would be bad.

I have a short video of the shaft movement, but I don't know how to post it here.

There will be a fair amount of movement. There is no adjustment. The in and out is for the rest of pulley mis-alignment within the rest of the system..

Ok, thanks,
I guess I'll try it, but it sure seems like a lot of movement.
I just looked in a manual and no actual specification in numbers is mentioned. However it does state this. [[[[[[[[
A small amount of drive shaft end play will be observed
when pulley is installed. This movement is
necessary and will be minimized by a thin cushion of
oil between the rotor and end plates when pump is in
operation.]]]]]]]]]]]

I just looked in a manual and no actual specification in numbers is mentioned. However it does state this. [[[[[[[[
A small amount of drive shaft end play will be observed
when pulley is installed. This movement is
necessary and will be minimized by a thin cushion of
oil between the rotor and end plates when pump is in
operation.]]]]]]]]]]]

Interesting... pretty wild the way these things were designed over a half century ago...

Thanks again!

Auto Transport Service
Back