• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Power Steering Pump stud too short

Gygeneral

Local time
10:42 AM
Reaction score
Ok , I'm adding power steering to my car, trying to install my pump and I can't figure out why the nut and washer will not fit on the one stud on the back of the pump. One stud is 1/2 long and the other is 3/4. So the guy who rebuilt the pump, did he reverse that stud, or maybe someone cut it before me. How can I fix this, do I need another stud or is it reversible, or do I need to find another. The nut just barely fits without the washer, I'm assuming there is supposed to be a washer I don't know.
I attached a couple pics.
Any help would be great thanks

pump stud 1.jpg pump stud.jpg

Pretty sure the studs should be the same length. I have seen them offered in a kit

Try flipping the stud... 1/2" into the pump is plenty...

So is there an o ring back there ? I've never taken one apart. I won't mess up the seal or anything?

The oring is between the pump and the reservoir

thanks, I'll try and reverse it today, hopefully the other side of the stud is longer

Yep the guy who restored it put it on backwards, I just flipped it and it was the correct lenght, thanks everyone

Auto Transport Service
Back