• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Power Steering Return hose

relam

Local time
8:56 AM
Reaction score
So I am finally getting around to reinstalling my rebuilt Federal power steering pump. But I have discovered the return hose which is 5/8 is difficult to get on to the pump. But whats worse is the steering box end has like a reduced end which is molded into the hose, as if it were mfg that way. Now what, I cant find that any where. Looks like the stem coming out of the gear box looks like a 1/4 nipple.

So I am finally getting around to reinstalling my rebuilt Federal power steering pump. But I have discovered the return hose which is 5/8 is difficult to get on to the pump. But whats worse is the steering box end has like a reduced end which is molded into the hose, as if it were mfg that way. Now what, I cant find that any where. Looks like the stem coming out of the gear box looks like a 1/4 nipple.
Need some pictures. Sounds like it PS can where return line goes is mismatched with steering box. Return hoses come in two sizes 11/32" and 5/8". My 66 Satellite has 5/8" both ends.

Need some pictures. Sounds like it PS can where return line goes is mismatched with steering box. Return hoses come in two sizes 11/32" and 5/8". My 66 Satellite has 5/8" both ends.
ralphs phone 032.JPG
ralphs phone 030.JPG
ralphs phone 036.JPG

return lines are low pressure, sleeve the new hose with another smaller hose and clamp it tight, you could use a little rtv black if you wanna go crazy, looks like thats what the last guy did, in the pics. or use a barbed reducer, for a quick cheap fix anyway. good luck.

Auto Transport Service
Back