• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

power steering return hose

flatheadgary

Local time
2:32 AM
Reaction score
i have a '63 belvedere with the stock box. which has a 5/8th size nipple coming out for the return line. my problem is, i used a '77 charger saginaw pump which has a 3/8th line coming out of the back. i have had a heck of a time trying to get this to work. i have had hoses made up by hydraulic shops which the first started to leak. the second one was made from different material which was a harder rubber and now it has started to leak. how have any of you who have had this setup fixed it? i am going to machine a step down coupler to the match the two hoses and then buy the return lines from auto parts store they sell in bulk.

I'd say your solution will be fine. You could also go to a plumbing supply house and buy a copper solder reducer. They are available in 1/2" X 3/8 tube size.
Mike

You need the later model nipple for your steering box. I don’t have a picture, got mine from steerandgear.com

The power steering oil gets pretty hot.
You need a hose rated for high temperature and oil resistant.
You should be able to buy a brass reducing hose adaptor from a fittings wholesaler fairly easily.

I kinda recall the return line from Chrysler is a odd size.

I kinda recall the return line from Chrysler is a odd size.
I think it is 11/32" diameter hose. Since its on the return or low pressure side of the the system a slip fit over the connecting nipple and a squeeze clamp to secure it should suffice. The crimp connectors and reinforced hoses are on the pressure side of the pump to steering gear connection, where hydraulic pressures can be as high as 1500 psi when the wheels are at full lock . Just my opinion of course.
BOB RENTON

Auto Transport Service
Back