• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Power Steering Shaft Play

El.Padrino

Local time
1:25 PM
Reaction score
Just resealed my power steering gear box but ran into an issue at the steering shaft (where the steering column connects).

Removed the steering shaft seal that covers a bearing underneath. Just wanted to install a new one but discovered a noticeable play between the bearing and the steering shaft. The play is only when wiggling up and down (see pic of arrows), no left-right.
Play is measured about 0.17mm.

31A88ABE-212B-4876-B345-3732DC671B6F.jpeg

I have a new replacement bearing but this won’t do the trick.

Came anybody across the same problem? Is it something to take care of or just install new seal?

Oh, please no “get a borgeson or firm feel” advice.

Thanks.

Not sure I have never rebuilt a steering box but I noticed my shaft walks in and out a little bit if I giggle the wheel back and forth. However it is still working fine.
I have an E body and it does the same so it might be normal.

Not sure I have never rebuilt a steering box but I noticed my shaft walks in and out a little bit if I giggle the wheel back and forth. However it is still working fine.
I have an E body and it does the same so it might be normal.

In and out is just fine, there’s zero movement on mine.

Auto Transport Service
Back