• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Power steering?

Cevidicus

Local time
7:31 AM
Reaction score
Thanks again to Joeychgo for setting up this forum.

I was wondering what it will take to run a late model power steering pump with a 69 style power steering gear box? I have not seen much on the issue other than the line pressure is way higher in the late model pumps and will cause leakage. Is there a way to reduce line pressure? Is there another Chrysler pump?

Please let me know what you have heard, seen or done.

Thanks!

they are using a late model gm power steering pump. i saw this on a thread somewhere on fabo forum

no this pump is from something like a escalade smaller and for serpentine systems. 5.5hemi should know more i think. he's very frequent on fabo forum

I want to use the pump from my 2009 5.7 in a 69 Coronet. But I'm not sure what needs to be done to make it work properly.

I want to use the pump from my 2009 5.7 in a 69 Coronet. But I'm not sure what needs to be done to make it work properly.

Sorry, when I first saw this thread it was in the 'recent threads' section of the home page. I didn't notice that it was actually posted in the 'late hemi swaps' section. Thought you needed a pump for a small or big block.

There are a couple of ways to go.
1. As stated use a gm pump, there are a few things to do before you can use it, read this very carefully.......
A. Take the stock pulley off the mopar pump, hone the id to a press fit of .002 and reinstall pulley.
B. The gm pump mounting hole are just ever so slightly off from the mopar pump, so drill the holes out a tad bigger and you set.
C. You will need fitting to go from the pump to the mopar box, so some "custom made" hoses will be required...not a big deal any hydraulic place can make them up.

2. Use the mopar pump and dont look back, this is what I have read on a number of different forums, but the box wont last long since the mopar pump puts out around 1300 psi hence some leaks WILL occur. The gm pump puts out around 900-950 psi, much better for the factory box.

I dont think you'll go wrong either way, but leaks will happen down the road if you go with the mopar pump ad factory box. Last thing, there is a flow consticter you can put inline and then you shouldn't have any problems, actually it goes on the pump itself, check speedwaymotors, they have the flow control thingy. Hope this helps.

1. As stated use a gm pump, there are a few things to do before you can use it, read this very carefully.......
A. Take the stock pulley off the mopar pump, hone the id to a press fit of .002 and reinstall pulley.
B. The gm pump mounting hole are just ever so slightly off from the mopar pump, so drill the holes out a tad bigger and you set.
C. You will need fitting to go from the pump to the mopar box, so some "custom made" hoses will be required...not a big deal any hydraulic place can make them up.

2. Use the mopar pump and dont look back, this is what I have read on a number of different forums, but the box wont last long since the mopar pump puts out around 1300 psi hence some leaks WILL occur. The gm pump puts out around 900-950 psi, much better for the factory box.

I dont think you'll go wrong either way, but leaks will happen down the road if you go with the mopar pump ad factory box. Last thing, there is a flow consticter you can put inline and then you shouldn't have any problems, actually it goes on the pump itself, check speedwaymotors, they have the flow control thingy. Hope this helps.

thanks 5.7hemi i knew you would chime in:sleepy2:

No problem, glad to help.

Thanks indeed. Now I have a good idea of how to go forward...

Or you can do what I did. Call S&P, buy the GM pump and sweet aluminum pulley and have them install it on the pump and have it delivered to you. That takes care of any p.s.i. difference issues that may or may not actually cause a problem. Buy the power steering hoses from them as well as the aluminum resevior. You will have to thread the return side of the gear box so that the AN-6 fitting will work on the gearbox. Sure...your going to pay premium money for buying the parts from S&P. BUT..those guys at S&P are a huge help at answering questions and I can honestly say that they have the best customer service of anybody in the car business that I have ever dealt with. If you want to save about $150, send them your stock pulley (if you can remove it without cracking it) and they will put it on their pump for you. Word of warning-break your pulley...your screwed. You cannot buy that pulley buy itself. Sure the parts guys say they can get them but when they check the inventory......nuttin'. S&P has the only aftermarket pulley out there for the power steering as far as I know. I spent 2 months trolling the web looking for one. March sells a serpintine system for the 5.7 but they won't sell the individual pulleys.

Another word of warning, if you take the top assembly (not sure what it's really called) off of your power steering gear box to thread it, be prepared for it to leak like heck when you reassemble it. I was working on this when the weather shut me down until spring. Never got that run to ground. Anybody that can give me a heads up would be appreciated. I couldn't find anyone that sold the o rings for that.

Yes you can buy just the pulley, it's around 20 bones from shophemi.com.

The o-rings for the box nipple are available anywhere, just get a set of assorted o-rings and match the sizes up. If you take out the flow control valve in the nipple (which I recomend) make sure you tap past the roll pin hole, this way you wont have any leaks.

Yes you can buy just the pulley, it's around 20 bones from shophemi.com.

The o-rings for the box nipple are available anywhere, just get a set of assorted o-rings and match the sizes up. If you take out the flow control valve in the nipple (which I recomend) make sure you tap past the roll pin hole, this way you wont have any leaks.

I looked everywhere including shophemi looking for a replacement pulley. They, along with everyone else in the country, was on backorder and had been for months. They may have finally recieved some. As far as the O rings go, I went to every local auto parts store in my area. They would have either the right diameters but not in the same thicknesses at all of them. I even stopped at a hydraulics store and they didn't have anything to help me.

Call FirmFeel or SteernGear, they should have the o-rings. Having the pulley on backorder that long sucks, I saw it on there not too long ago, have you looked on e-bay?

Call FirmFeel or SteernGear, they should have the o-rings. Having the pulley on backorder that long sucks, I saw it on there not too long ago, have you looked on e-bay?
I bit the bullet and bought the aluminum pulley from S&P.

Jeez, I bet that left an aftertaste!!

Auto Transport Service
Back