• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Power Valve Passage on Six Pack Base

PurpleBeeper

Local time
6:21 PM
Reaction score
Does anyone know for sure which hole on top of a six pack center carb (#4375) is the one you drill out to install a Holley #125-500 "Power Valve Check Ball Kit"? I'm going to rebuild my carbs in the next week or two and I thought I might go ahead and do this upgrade while I'm at it. Thanks!

Thanks Silver..... I've got that diagram..... I'm just scared that I will drill the wrong hole on a six pack. Can anyone verify the hole to drill? And yes, I should have mentioned in my original post.... what hole on the base plate?

Here is a pic of one installed, I did my center carb a few years ago.

WPI85-717.1.jpg

Thanks Silver..... I've got that diagram..... I'm just scared that I will drill the wrong hole on a six pack. Can anyone verify the hole to drill? And yes, I should have mentioned in my original post.... what hole on the base plate?

Thank You 440+6! I appreciate the confirmation.

if your popping power valves then there's a cause. somewhere along the line you'll need to find that.

Hey Lewtot184.... please elaborate. What should I be looking for?

I have from time-to-time in the past wondered about my power valve. I'm adding this little Holley gizmo as a safety precaution to keep the power valves good for sure. I do run adjustable rockers and have had a "cough" or two over the years and every time it happens, I just pull the carbs and put in a new power valve "just in case" I blew it.

usually a "cough" thru the carb is the sign of a lean condition or the timing too late. i've looked into the blow-out check valve for the 6pak before and, if i remember correctly, i thought there might be an issue with the base plate configuration. i'll look again and re-visit that.

Hey Lewtot184.... please elaborate. What should I be looking for?

I have from time-to-time in the past wondered about my power valve. I'm adding this little Holley gizmo as a safety precaution to keep the power valves good for sure. I do run adjustable rockers and have had a "cough" or two over the years and every time it happens, I just pull the carbs and put in a new power valve "just in case" I blew it.

Did you check to see if the power valve was actually blown when you pulled it out ? They dont blow out as easy as some think is why I ask. I run my car in the winter every now and then and I have had a few backfire's over the years starting it in colder weather. Not many but a few and it has never blown the power valve. And my 850 is an older one without the power valve protection. But it is still a good idea to put it in as all the newer Holley's I have worked with had it. Ron

Thanks 383man.....well, I've never seen one of my power valves popped like a balloon, or at least if they ARE blown, they don't look like it. Maybe I've changed my power valve 5-6 times when I didn't need to (likely), but they're not too expensive and it's one of those, "Well, I've got this apart, what else should I do while I'm in there?" things, so I just change them every time I pull the carb(s) open.

And I did get a slightly different piece than I expected to fix the power valve issue. Instead of a check ball, I got a little brass restrictor (Mr. Gasket) that seems like it does the same thing as the Holley 125-500. Has anyone used this little gismo? I will probably drill my center carb baseplate to put it in this week unless somebody pipes up and tells me why not. Thanks Everyone!

For what it's worth,direct from Holley.

Attachments

• PA260598.JPG
    PA260598.JPG
    88.5 KB · Views: 240
Wow 62Max... interesting read. I've got a vacuum hand pump, so I might have to check one sometime. I think I will still put in that little brass restrictor for the power valve circuit just in case.

Auto Transport Service
Back