• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

pro charger on 383 big block street car

sparcy

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
12:52 AM
Reaction score
sorry thought this mite be where to ask about procharger, but it is on a street car. I was looking at the super charger store . I want to run fuel injection with it. I like the Holley systems I have installed 2 and tech support is top notch. super charger store uses fi tech . I have a 68 engine with 1978 open chamber heads and headers and a mild comp cam 268AH. any info great thanks

any photos or details about the install ?

maybe try the Resto-mod & Pro-touring forum section
here also

All I can say is we will be supercharging my sons 451 Dart with a Procharger real soon. We are planning to put the new eng in this weekend and then break it in N/A and then we will finish installing the Procharger and change the tune as we run the Holley Sniper EFI on it. Ron

Not a procharger, but this past winter I used the Paxton/Vortech centrifugal kit for a 440 on my pretty stock 383, needed a few new holes in the main support plate due to the difference in hole locations because of deck height but nothing major. I was even able to use a stock mechanical fan with a spacer and clear the belt and radiator. I think they flow enough air for around 800hp, but there are some aftermarket impellers that can go a bit more I believe. I also went with the Holley super sniper stealth 1250 throttle body efi at the same time, seems to work great for me.

Mike

seems to work great for me.
That ALL the information we get!?!?
:poke::mob:
Gotta hear MORE about it!
Any power numbers? Dyno? Track ET and MPH? Unstoppable melting of the back tires? Body panels flying off at ludicrous speeds?....
:popcorn2::popcorn2::popcorn2:

That ALL the information we get!?!?
:poke::mob:
Gotta hear MORE about it!
Any power numbers? Dyno? Track ET and MPH? Unstoppable melting of the back tires? Body panels flying off at ludicrous speeds?....
:popcorn2::popcorn2::popcorn2:

Only a few hundred miles on it so far getting the EFI tuned in, but very happy with it. I don't know much of the motor history other than it's pretty much a .030'' overbore factory 383. Pretty sure the heads are as-cast 516, the cam is just a mopar purple hydraulic 484, stamped rockers, etc. It probably was about 300 hp when I got it, based on injector fuel flow right now it's closer to 525 hp with 7-8 psi and 23-25 degrees of timing. It's great because it's just as streetable as before but way better throttle response and much more power for sure, boost is great for streetable horsepower. Runs down the street at 185 degrees with the factory cooling system at about 90 degrees outside. In the next couple years it's due for some forged pistons and aluminum heads but I wanted to get everything in place for that first. Not a racecar at all, 100 percent fun street car, no problem going a hundred miles here or there. I used to build and tune really fast drag cars but that just got to be too much work, this car will likely never see the track. For now just a fun street car.

Mike

Well that's cool...
My only experience with a boosted car was my 89 Conquest TSi. Stock turbo (tiny Mitsu 12a or 13a I think) mech boost gauge (for the truth) manual controller, Eclipse MAF sensor, 17lbs. boost. 3" turbo back no cat exhaust and a Hooker AeroFlow muffler.
First add on was a clutch to hold the extra power, w/in a week of turning up the boost. Factory computer and stock injectors.
I get it, cruising along and it's a torque-y 4 cylinder, get on the throttle and oh boy!
I can only imagine how it wakes up that 383!!
Thanks for the details!

Auto Transport Service
Back