• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pro Flo 4. Edelbrock

Dennis H

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
1:54 AM
Reaction score
IMG_1557.jpg
IMG_1558.PNG
Going against everything I've said here in the past, I am considering this for a build that is 1-2 years out. To reduce down time, the build will go on while the current 440 is in the car and running. I want to do some parts acquisition a piece at a time. That's my 440 Block in front of the Cat, 1974 cast, clean and never bored. Always looking for advice. I like Edelbrock. In tank pump not included. It's a big investment.

Last edited:
View attachment 622118 View attachment 622117 Going against everything I've said here in the past, I am considering this for a build that is 1-2 years out. To reduce down time, the build will go on while the current 440 is in the car and running. I want to do some parts acquisition a piece at a time. That's my 440 Block, 1974 cast, clean and never bored. Always looking for advice. I like Edelbrock. In tank pump not included. It's a big investment.
I suppose you've seen the thread on the FiTech "Tri-power" system? Not knocking the Edelbrock kit but that FiTech setup is badass.

OOooooooooooo!
This is verrrrrry interesting! Port fuel injection is a leap beyond a throttle body setup. The OEM setups back in the 80s gained power when they went to port injection while improving mpgs. I know that mileage is not your main concern but....
I am curious as to why you are considering it. The Snow belt and East coast guys speak of improved cold starts and improved hot starts. Out here we have mild winters and low humidity. My cars start and run in the 40-50 degree weather on their own in a few minutes. No problems in hot weather either. The San Jose climate is warmer in the winter and cooler in the summer than it is at my place.
If the EFI reduces the raw gas smell and improves mileage as people claim, that is a nice advantage.
If the EFI delivers better part throttle performance as it is supposed to do, that is great too.
Some pretty smart guys claim a small loss of power at WIDE open throttle but at part throttle, where you spend MOST of the time in a street car, the EFI really shines.
Imagine 5000 miles between oil changes.
Imagine clean spark plugs for 20,000 miles.
Imagine MORE than 250 miles on a tank of gas!
Finally, an engine that is properly tuned can last far more than 100,000 miles. EFI will have the advantage of self adjusting the fuel curve to any altitude or temperature. It is partly responsible for newer cars lasting 300,000 miles or more.
I'll be interested to see where this goes. By the way....The 440/493 in my 70 Charger is based on a 1974 440 block as well.

Mostly elevation and hot restarts with ethanol issues are driving this. With a sea level tune, the current set up with the 850 Demon is fine. Road trips often take me 5 to 8 thousand feet and the sea level tune is weak. Worse is the hot restarts with evaporation of the ethanol laced fuel. Car runs perfect now in San Jose in any weather conditions. This last trip to Vegas was 101 degrees and about 3000 feet at Fire-something state park. We could not drive from stop to stop without restart issues depending on how long we were there. 1/2 inch spacer and on and on. Engine temp never went over 190, so it is not a cooling issue. All fuel and tuning. With Linda along I get to be a nervous ******* wreck. Reno is next.

I respect that you drive the car without hesitation. High altitudes, distances, rain, traffic....nothing seems to stop you.
You are an inspiration to classic car owners.

I'm surprised you're having hot restart issues with an electric fuel pump.
My Coronet runs the FiTech TBI and I have hot start issues too, although I believe its heat soak in the Fuel Command Center that's mounted in the engine compartment. The port FI is very interesting.
After running the TBI on the Coronet and the Eddy carb on the Dart, I wouldn't recommend FI for most people, especially here in CA. However, you drive your car a lot more than most of us, and to elevations most of us flat landers don't venture to so you will get your monies worth.

I'm surprised you're having hot restart issues with an electric fuel pump.
My Coronet runs the FiTech TBI and I have hot start issues too, although I believe its heat soak in the Fuel Command Center that's mounted in the engine compartment. The port FI is very interesting.
After running the TBI on the Coronet and the Eddy carb on the Dart, I wouldn't recommend FI for most people, especially here in CA. However, you drive your car a lot more than most of us, and to elevations most of us flat landers don't venture to so you will get your monies worth.
Thanks Rich. I went back to the mechanical pump, but while using the Edelbrock Street 150 GPH electric pump, I saw no improvement. Maybe I didn't run it long enough prior to spinning the starter. The electric pump left me down twice on the road.

Having swapped to a tbi unit on the roadrunner you will love it. Perfect throttle, bump and start etc. Port injection is the best, Holley sniper is better tbi unit out there. Do you’re self a favor and hit up Richard Nebal and he can set up real good!
http://www.fastmanefi.com/

Thanks Rich. I went back to the mechanical pump, but while using the Edelbrock Street 150 GPH electric pump, I saw no improvement. Maybe I didn't run it long enough prior to spinning the starter. The electric pump left me down twice on the road.
I remember the stories. The in-tank fuel pumps have a greater life expectancy than the externals.

I have considered a replacement tank with an internal pump even with a carburetor setup. The improved design of a return line to keep cool fuel to the engine....
I have a return line from a regulator in my car currently. It may be pertly responsible for why I do not have heat soak problems like I did when I first put the car together.

fuel injection???

don’t sell out!!!

just kidding. i went with an MSD Atomic EFi a while back and an in-tank fuel pump; MSD Atomic controlling engine timing and radiator cooling fans.

set aside cash for the extras: AN Fuel line/fittings -6 or -8, rigid AN flare tool, khoul tools an fitting tool, aluminum/steel hardline, running a fuel return line, $$$Aeromotive fuel filters(100 micron or better) with shutoff valves, efi compatible regulator (aeromotive again), electric fuel pump (tanksinc.com), electric in-tank fuel pump relay setup, maybe a new fuel tank modified with a tube-style fuel level sender for reliable fuel levels, new fuel filler neck rubber elbows, nice t-bolt style clamps at various points, high-heat enamel spray paint for touch-up, and probably a way to shim down the fuel tank so the fittings on top of it don’t rub on underside of trunk floor pan, thermotec heat liner wrap on all areas of supply/return line from tank to tbi, thermotec heat shield to line exterior of gas tank at any points exposed to exhaust or more, probably other stuff too. maybe a vented gas cap.

anyhow, create a build thread for the rest of us little people.

going efi has allowed me to focus on other things for my 66. mmm...not to mention i probably couldn’t tune a carb anyways.

good luck. we’re here for ya!

watermelon

Last edited:
Dude, that is a FANTASTIC price and set-up.. WOW!!! I could then swap to my pro-flo manifold.. DO IT, DO IT NOW.. Swaping to another ECU, if you didn't like the Edelbrock would be easy!!

I still haven’t figured out why Edelbrock hasn’t made that for the b block.

Bump. This is a priority now. I am gathering components and really want to get the right applications. Concerned now about hood clearance. Also, need the ohms for a stock fuel gauge which seems to be working now. Gonna call tanksinc tomorrow to see if I can get an extra gallon or 2 capacity for range. Got good tech advice on this end too, but always need more. Plan is to have my shop do the install and plumbing for fuel, then massage it. Tanksinc also has a trap door to access the in-tank pump. This elimnates the need to drop the tank if pump issues happen. Trunk floor is perforated anyway. A 4 3/4 x 8 1-2 trap door would probably improve trunk floor integrity.

Auto Transport Service
Back