• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Problem on top of problems....

DALTON

Local time
10:31 AM
Reaction score
Electrical is my weak point on this car. I will try to keep this as short as possible.
Picked up my 69 Bee from the body shop on Friday. Had some work done to the front fender. I know he had to pull the front bumper off to get to the work. On the way home my amp meter starts going nuts! Pinning the needle to both sides. As I get closer to the house (about 25mi away) I smell a burning. I get in the driveway, pop the hood and find the battery connection to the alternator has actually burned a hole into the alternator. I replaced the alternator yesterday. Go into the car, turn the key and get smoke coming out of the dash. I turn off the key and start checking everything....no spark to the plugs, no spark to the coil. Battery is good, alternator seems to be good, fuses are good. Not sure where to go from here...

i would bet that the insulators on the back of your amp gauge are worn/shorting.

Gonna check out the gauge when I get back home. That wouldn't cause the whole ignition system to not get spark though would it?

Many of us have removed power completely from the amp meter to prevent fire. Don't care if it is charging. If it doesn't start, it was not charging. You got lucky. Close call. Put a battery shut off in and carry fire extinguishers. My plan is Linda grabs the extinguisher and I remove power. Scary huh? Never at a good time. Good luck and keep us posted.

I have the battery shut off already installed. Extinguisher will be installed by the end of the week. Thanks for the help everyone! I will keep you posted.

We would like more pictures of your cool car too.

B3.JPGB4.JPGB5.JPGB6.JPGB7.JPG

Ask and you shall receive! lol
440 Dual Quads -- A833 4speed
Looks as it did the day it rolled into the showroom (with a different shifter handle)
Also, a little bulkier under the hood!

That's a nice car I would go over the harness checking it very carefully visually and feel. I had a under dash fire in a fury once from a short it burned up inside the wrapped part and trashed the harness.

Nice detail on the grill. Argent/textured etc. Sweet. Like the dog-dishes too. Stance!

That is a beautiful car with a killer interior. Doubling down on previous replies, the ammeter wiring is the weak link in the electrical system. Madelectrical.com is the place to go to brush up on Mopar wiring.

Do some reading on the different types of fire extinguishers before you buy one. You regular hardware A,B,C type can actually do additional damage to your car. They cost more but look into dry chemical and Halguard type extinguishers.

Good point. I'm still finding powder under the hood from the 1993 fire. My primary interior extinguisher is a Halon.
Controversial but clean use.

It could also be like what my buddy's car did if you upgraded to the two field alt with the electronic reg. His 71 Roadrunner had the alt rotor short and started to fry the J2 (blue) wire under the dash and hood. It is on a fusable link but his had not blown before it fryed the J2 circuit some. Basically the J2 is an ign run circiut power with the key on and it will feed the field on one brush on the two field alt. Just something else to be aware of. Ron

It could also be like what my buddy's car did if you upgraded to the two field alt with the electronic reg. His 71 Roadrunner had the alt rotor short and started to fry the J2 (blue) wire under the dash and hood. It is on a fusable link but his had not blown before it fryed the J2 circuit some. Basically the J2 is an ign run circiut power with the key on and it will feed the field on one brush on the two field alt. Just something else to be aware of. Ron
This seem to be the exact issue I am having. It is in the hands of a pro now. Should be done this week. Do you know what he did to fix it?

Turns out there was a short on one of the field wires at the alternator. New alternator in and under dash wiring fixed up and the car will now start. We are not getting a charge to the battery though at this time. Anyone else think I have a bad voltage regulator?

Auto Transport Service
Back