• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Production numbers?????

Limo Man

Local time
5:30 PM
Reaction score
I see people listing they have 1 of ? for about everything on their car. Where are they finding that much detail? I've seen the info about my 1968 Charger being 1 of 259 (H code/4sp) but the other options should narrow that down even more. It has A/C; buddy seat instead of console; no vinyl top; Burgundy paint/Red interior. Everything on the fender tag is still there except the original red line tires. Thanks.

would love to see pics please, they might have their build sheet

I see people listing they have 1 of ? for about everything on their car. Where are they finding that much detail? I've seen the info about my 1968 Charger being 1 of 259 (H code/4sp) but the other options should narrow that down even more. It has A/C; buddy seat instead of console; no vinyl top; Burgundy paint/Red interior. Everything on the fender tag is still there except the original red line tires. Thanks.

The basis for a lot of the production numbers comes from the Options and Accessories reports. This is what tells us, approximately, how many 383-4 four speeds were built. The numbers are not exact but an approximation based on a percentage meaning there is a little wiggle room from the exact number.

Due to the way the report is structured, it is not possible to cross reference different options and come up with a new number. The math just doesn't work that way. Anyone that tries to do so is just twisting the numbers/guessing/speculating/wishing/splitting hairs trying to make their particular car look "most rare".

Due to the number of potential options, it is likely there were more combinations available than cars actually constructed. It's not hard to find a 1 of 1 car. It's harder to find two cars built exactly alike meaning each car is pretty much unique unto itself.

I sold a 69 Charger 383, 4- speed, factory AC car a few years ago and was told that combo was fairly rare. Wish I would have kept that one......

I think that 383-4 spd number of mid 200's for both '68 and '69 models has pretty much been debunked to death ?
That,
or the same Cars have been sold and resold many times as there have been literally THOUSANDS of 383-4spd 68/69 Charger's sold in the last few years ?

Watch for yourself....
pretty much every week there is ANOTHER supposedly ultra-rare(NOT) 383-4 gear sold or selling somewhere.

would love to see pics please, they might have their build sheet
IMG_3029.JPG
IMG_3010.JPG
IMG_3029.JPG
IMG_3010.JPG

Thanks to all for the information. This one is off to the shop next week for a little fresh up.

My opinion! To me the 1 of ?, once you get past engine and trans and maybe some rare option or color is sales fluff.
Nice care limo man not like a 4 speed Charger.:thumbsup:

sweet Charger,I know you dont leave that outside.

It sat in the back of my shop for 20+ years.

I think I've personally seen MORE 383-4 spd Chargers than anything else in any year..... I guess I'm calling BS on that "2xx" production number and I don't care what any 'book' said !
They just seem to be everywhere ?

Also, some people stop reading/comprehending Galen Govier's books/reports after they get to "this car is 1 of 16...."

...because the next part of the sentence is "...in my registry", which means absolutely nothing as far as how many were produced with that combination of options.

Last edited:
However, I believe AC 4 speed cars, especially performance models do qualify as "rare" in my book.

Also, some people stop reading/comprehending Galen Govier's books after they get to "this car is 1 of 16...."

...because the next part of the sentence is "...in my registry", which means absolutely nothing as far as how many were produced with that combination of options.
Exactly.

Awesome, I also have one of the 1 of 259 68 charger 383, 4bbl 4speed too. Has a non matching number 383 indy heads, roller cam and some other stuff in it, but now has a 5 speed and a dana 60.
68-1.jpg
68-2.jpg
68-3.jpg

Awesome, I also have one of the 1 of 259 68 charger 383, 4bbl 4speed too. Has a non matching number 383 indy heads, roller cam and some other stuff in it, but now has a 5 speed and a dana 60.View attachment 1014693 View attachment 1014694 View attachment 1014696
Put 4 wheel disc brakes on it also with moser axles. All the numbers I have seen and read show 259 383 4bbl 4 speed cars made in 68 but the numbers don't really matter to me I just wanted a true 4 speed 68 charger.

68-4.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back