• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Progression Ignitions

I don't know if many folks can justify $500 for a distributor. I was thinking I'd rather see how much a total EFI system with a connected distributor would cost, first. I do see the advantage of setting the timing curve via cell phone, though.

A forum member sent me a PM about this.
I have not had any problems with the FBO setup from Don,
BUT
The product being offered by these people is what I have always wanted! Programmable ignition timing without having EFI.
total EFI system with a connected distributor
To me, that is a great setup, but I may not ever have EFI.
I may well go with this product for the 541 stroker as my current FBO setup would have to be reprogrammed anyway. With this Progression ignition I have a distributor that fits w/Trick Flow heads and exactly what I want in the extremely critical system that is our ignition systems!

I can't see any reason why the adjustable timing that they refer to for boost applications can't also apply for nitrous timing retard. Even if it's a separate timing table, you can program one that takes out timing to accommodate the nitrous, but unlike dial retard setups, where you pull out say, 4 degrees and that is across the entire RPM range, with this you can pull out timing relative to vacuum and RPM so if you are only going to use nitrous at WOT and over 2,500 RPMs for example, you can keep the extra timing and power that advance gives up to the point where the nitrous comes in, and that is where the timing retards. That has to be worth a few 10ths in a quarter mile.

After having a little trouble describing what I was yearning for in an ignition system, it's as though Progression read my mind and VIOLA! Made it happen!!
I may not wait for the new 541, and get this ahead of time to play w/it and maybe tweak a little more power out of my 440 6bbl.
There was a guy in Chattanooga at a Mopar meet that had a similar product, but it was "homemade" and the timing controller was an external CPU and he only had it on his car. When he went to demo it to me, the little tablet device had some com issues, and it looked very rudimentary. It actually looked like the "test runs" for the finished product that Progression has come out with.
If I knew him better, I'd call him and see if their product is his, but I am really going to struggle to NOT buy one of these, and VERY likely to buy one.

I love mine.
I have a race gas tune set up, and a pump gas tune.
You can change total timing in seconds, also like the security lock out.
Only problem I had was had to clearance my fabbed valve covers.
Engine runs noticeably smoother that the old MP distributor.
I was starting out from scratch, so it really wasn't much more than other comparable ignitions.
They even sent me a spare rotor, customer oriented people.

THAT is exactly one of the scenarios I had in my mind when I was considering the "ultimate" carburetor ignition.
I'm disappointed to hear that as it appeared to be a small diameter cap. I like the concept so much though, even if the Trick Flow 270s have to be ground on (by the machine shop doing the build) or whatever else has to be ground for clearance, I think I see one that I may not wait too long to get, and try it out in my current 440 6bbl.
Can you elaborate on the areas that needed clearancing and pix too?

Here is yet another perfect match for a need I have in both of our classic muscle cars.
We added Vintage Air AC to both cars. Right now, idle speed is about 150-250 RPMs higher than what I'd like. I did that to offset the drop that the AC compressor puts on the engines. They're both manual transmission cars, but you auto transmission guys could get an even greater benefit from this:
By raising the timing advance at RPMs lower than idle speed, that offsets the load, whether it be going into gear on an auto or the compressor kicking on.
The extra timing advance compensates for the load.
All I could think to do was to try to use my factory anti dieseling solenoid (that I do not use for my idle speed) and adapt it to extend when the AC came on, and that would still leave me with having to come up with something for the Tripower in the GTO.
Then there's THIS:

20201024_184256.jpg

Looks like yours might work, nice looking covers!

I love mine.
You can change total timing in seconds, also like the security lock out.
Engine runs noticeably smoother that the old MP distributor.
I was starting out from scratch, so it really wasn't much more than other comparable ignitions.
They even sent me a spare rotor, customer oriented people.

Has anyone tried this setup with 440 Source valve covers. For that has anyone found
any aftermarket distributors that will fit those valve covers ( on 906 heads ).

Just an update.
I still have to make the time to get my new hydraulic throwout bearing and dual disc clutch working properly as it doesn't seem to fully disengage or "something" is making the input shaft on the transmission, with the clutch pedal pushed down all the way, spin enough to make it impossible to shift into Reverse w/out shutting off the engine, and shifts are smoother by rev matching, which is also indicating something is keeping that input shaft spinning.
Having said all that, this Progression ignition is a DEFINITE for my car and soon. It's EXACTLY what I dreamed of in an ignition system!
I even downloaded the app and plugged in some basic parameters, and it generated a map for timing and I can set a few up before I ever get the distributor!
Screenshot_20210213-095930_Progression Ignition.jpg

Another UPDATE:
I spoke with Ted at Progression to see if they knew about fitment with TrickFlow 270s and their distributor. He doesn't know, but offered to take it back for a full refund and pay return shipping if it didn't fit. I told him I planned on running it in my current 440 6bbl and then using it in the BMP aluminum block based 541 stroker, which is the engine that will have the TF 270s.
Anyway, they redesigned the app, and I downloaded it, after I uninstalled the original. Here's the improvements in v2:
All New tuning app for use with Progression Ignition distributors. New features include- all new graphics, GPS Speedometer and gauge dials, manifold pressure gauge with in/hg and psi, faster Bluetooth connecting, and cloud backup. Uses Bluetooth to connect to the distributor. Create a timing table by entering a few simple parameters. Change ignition timing advance, Rev limiter, RPM and MAP breakpoints using table editor. Make changes instantly with the engine running or not. Save as many different tables as you want and load them instantly. Gauges screen shows you real time data. The theft prevention feature Ignition Lock allows you to prevent the engine from starting when parked.
:thumbsup: :bananadance::usflag:

I can't see any reason why the adjustable timing that they refer to for boost applications can't also apply for nitrous timing retard....
I spoke with the owner of Progression yesterday, and decided to wait a bit, maybe January, to get mine. I am having a hard time not wanting to be able to use up to a 300HP shot of nitrous on the 541 build, given the BMP block is more than sturdy enough, and all my other components will be too. I "think" the only difference in the build would be a little more gap in the rings.
Anyway, Progression has something nitrous specific in the works, and it can be applied to their existing systems, but it will require sending the distributor back to them for the upgrade. I'm just going to wait and be the first to have one of the new units.
For all I know, I may never harness the 700 ft lbs of torque I have as my target for the 541, but it would be a shame to go through all of that cost and time, find that I reach a point where I am utilizing the power it makes, have the capability of using more power and going faster and quicker with some nitrous, and have an engine strong enough to take it easily but for the ring gap.

I really like the switch on the fly ability, you can run a new curve while driving and maximize what the engine really wants.
I was leaving a lot on the table with the old system, just because it was too hard to get to the ragged edge and back.
I have no worries now running 11.25 CR and 90 octane non-ethanol.

A 300 shot? Dude! you have issues!!!! :poke:

My Passon has been working really well, except the 4-5 shift is a little clunky. I guess you are going to find out it's true limits.

A 300 shot? Dude! you have issues!!!! :poke:
My Passon has been working really well, except the 4-5 shift is a little clunky. I guess you are going to find out it's true limits
Well, regarding the "300HP shot" if my HP winds up at 600, that would be a 50% increase. At 150HP, 25%...
The system Nitrous Express sells for Holley 2bbl carbs in a 6bbl array, comes with ONE spray plate, for the center carb. The old NOS system was the opposite, and had 2 plates for the outboard carbs. I'm sure the Nitrous Express system can be configured for the outboard carbs.
Anyway, here's the system, and they claim a range of 50 to 300. I may never use it. I want to be able to. I think there are already some "other dogs" running around that could match or beat me on motor, and I'd like to have that "extra" available.
Screenshot_20211209-180823_Chrome.jpg

https://www.nitrousexpress.com/holley-2-bbl-tri-power-3-plates-gasoline-50-300hp-30026.asp

Auto Transport Service
Back