• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Project long haul...

Ron 73

Deceased, But not forgotton
Local time
6:36 PM
Reaction score
Ever since ive been here you guys have kept me entertained with car builds, ive left mine out because its a build, i felt like the last one and i was going to do it with my son and then he was killed in a car accident, im done there!!! Anyway its a 69 Road Runner, i know you've seen many being done hear but with a little guilt trip i have to put this in and hope it helps someone else who does these cars like you all have helped me......
Ive had it for almost two years and there has been a lot of work but, little work, im not going into my health problems but im going to post what i can when i can and hope it does help you guys like you have helped me, sometimes its just reading thru what someone has done that helps us go further and i guess its called inspiring us lol, whatever, im a pretty slow but head strong guy with this stuff, i really love these old cars and MOPAR is my top choice as its always ahead of the rest, and they look better, run faster, and i could go on but i know you guys know what im talking about!
I have been having some serious computer problems and hope to have that fixed shortly so im posting what i can, i think i have some starting pictures at the least... ill try to explain them all until i get caught up and then,,,, im hoping things as slow as they may go will click right, Hate it and leave it or sit back and see my screw ups LOL!!!
I have my 73 fake RR to have fun in, i have a real one i play with or rebuild anyway and my shop is small, im big, lol, ok, ill just start and im not going to get upset at anyone's remarks so don't worry, like any would ROFL.. This is almost a relief valve going off if i can find my pictures and even better my computer guy who took my main one can fix iT!!! Later guys, if this works its pictures when i got it (Feb/ /2012)......

Ive been hear before! Ive committed myself this time and ill try to keep updates for any and all, I have done some work and will try to post that as soon as possible but this for now is all i have but ill look for another disk that may have some work done on the old thing, it is turning around into a solid ride again, and looking forward to this..... I think! Driving one ive done and working on my favorite car ever built is a blessing!! And im-ah-havin fun!!! Until i find more...... Just for the record, i started at the back, working ahead! Ive found all my mind can take right now, i will show some work when i get my computer back, or find a disk i had better have or im really in trouble documenting this! And i just got a message telling me its the power supply so i should be ok HEE HAW!!!!!!!! Before i chicken out with this... later guys! HaVE A GREAT NIGHT!!! :)

Picture 041 (Medium) (Small) (2).jpgPicture 036 (Medium).jpgPicture 048 (Medium) (Small) (2).jpgPicture 092 (Medium) (2).jpgPicture 040 (Medium).jpgPicture 039 (Medium).jpggggg (Small) (2).jpgPicture 045 (Medium) (Small).jpgPicture 094 (Medium).jpg

Attachments

• Picture 043 (Medium) (Small).jpg
    Picture 043 (Medium) (Small).jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 1,331
  • Picture 043 (Small).jpg
    Picture 043 (Small).jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 1,317
  • Picture 047 (Medium) (Small) (2).jpg
    Picture 047 (Medium) (Small) (2).jpg
    78 KB · Views: 1,302
  • ggggggggg (Small) (2).jpg
    ggggggggg (Small) (2).jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 1,303
  • Picture 134 (Medium) (Small).jpg
    Picture 134 (Medium) (Small).jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 1,323
NICE !!!!!!!!

Glad to see your other car Ron.

I've always liked the 69 Runners. Years ago I had a 383 car B5 blue one. I'm subscribed !!!!! It will be like going for a trip down memory lane. Looks like you have a good start. Do what you can, when you can and pace yourself. When something isn't going right set the tools down and walk away for a little while.

Thanks for starting the thread. Looks like it will a good one !!!!!

Looks like a good project it may have less rust than mine.lol You know how it is hear,if you need anything just holler.

Looks like a nice project Ron, and a 4-speed to boot. It doesn't get much better than that! What are your plans for the color combo and engine? I'm sure your son is approving your decision to carry on the resto.

Thanks for starting your thread Ron . . . will be looking forward to watching your work and progress on the car the same way you follow mine . . . Thanks ! !

walter p chrysler is happy today for another one of his cars to be restored and by you ron,we know you will bring it back to pristine condition and the car looks very good for a project,beep beep.

Last edited:
:hello2: Thanks for starting a thread Ron, I've been curious and patiently waiting for quite some time now to get a look at your Bird. Looks like a nice project and I agree the RRs are great looking cars so enjoy the build and can't wait to see that **** eating grin when you finally drive it down the road.

Last edited:
Glad you decided to post about the bird Ron. I'll be watchin this one cause it looks like a good solid foundation. So what's the plan, restoration, restomod, tribute to your son? Whatever you decide to do I'm sure it will turn out great cause if I can do it anyone can lol.

I truly thank ALL of you with this and i hope to have my computer in a week or so and i can post more pictures, I have done some work and a lot of that has been the sand blasting of things using Eastwoods equipment which is fantastic,, if my AC was larger i wouldn't be afraid of tackling a whole truck frame in a day... LINK to what i have.. http://www.eastwood.com/eastwood-50lb-pressure-abrasive-blaster.html
I also had the leaf springs out with the differential and sand blasted all that and then used Eastwoods rust converter and primed .. But my shop is so small and no room and i really don't have help anymore so when my son in law was here he helped me get it back under the car (winter close),, so the sanding i still need to do will be a bit harder, then paint but ill get it...
Whoever fixed this car up to make it drivable really messed up with stuff, the trunk pan you see in the car is made up of heavier metal then the frame rails, welded, glued, it took me two weeks to get it out and ended up using cutting torches as they welded it to the inner fenders, quarter panels, tail panel ect.. what a mess it was... I am going to try to find all pictures i have to show you what i did or im doing, i have the drivers rear rail and the P-side 1/2 rail in with measurements coming out beautiful, level and square with the P-side spring shackle in, cross-member in the back done but still need to get the reinforcement plates and the end "caps" (each side of rear cross-member) The underneath rear floor was one of the first things i did and i painted it but it along with everything underneath will have Por-15 on it, i got mixed up keeping notes and thought this stuff was what i was supposed to get and was wrong but at almost 200 bucks, i cant let it sit on the shelf and now get "Rust bullet", my bad there... I also have and use Eastwoods rust "encapsulator" supposed to stop rust forever, I use it inside the rails and works great and looks like it should before paint although you do not have to coat with primer or paint!, I made my own sprayer to put it in the P-side front 1/2 rail but could only drill the holes so small so i used a little more then 1/2 a quart on it alone, but they have an adapter with a hose for there spray cans which i can use on the rockers inside and other things... helps a lot.
My main goal is solid, new metal parts or patches but has to be right and one reason i worry more about my computer to keep pictures of everything to have a record, ill be burning copy's of folders when i get it back and caught up this time!!! So far im happy with my work and will show some to get opinions before anything final, All you guys do great and i do value your opinions!
I have to give credit to a few who has helped me along the way with things which i will for sure, im trying to get the hang of this stuff posting on my own, i still feel a bit guilty and don't know why but for the most part, i keep to myself, keeps me out of trouble! :)
I have a 383 for the car, period correct but not original and was told it came out of a 69 Charger, I have an 833 4-speed but, its out of a 70 Challenger... When i took the leaf springs off the front spring hangers i found the car was originally Butterscotch and for the time being going with that... I don't think it had a air grabber hood but right now working on the rear, im using the hood on the car to put tools on, i have a extra hood and with little space, i need all the room for things i can get, this is nothing like my 73, wish it were that simple of body work!
I have two solid fenders i bought extra, I have enough new metal to keep me busy until i get to the torsion cross-member so im set for awhile with work, i get the rear finished and trunk pans/extensions in then its the quarters and repair on back window..

Wow, i didn't realize it takes this much time lol, I set this project at around 3 year, this is close to the second year now, 3 year not going to cut it but it will be right when its done, don't let my small shop trick you ive been hear before rofl... I am starting to enjoy the work more each time i can work on it, My wife talked me into getting it saying it would help with the circumstances and i said no, i think my wife and sweety of over 41 years could, possibly be right! lol, Of course being on this site and watching, talking with all you guys makes a tremendous difference!, I never lied when i said before that the best automotive metal and resto builds were here, ive never seen better in person or on a computer then here! I think im typed out for now, until the next time have a great night and maybe ill check out what you all have been doing and feel more the comfortable :)

Ron, glad you decided to put this up. You know i'll be watching this one.

Man I'm excited to follow your build and after losing a brother I can't imagine losing my son. He would be proud I'm sure.

As mentioned above it will be good therapy. Looks good so far. I look forward to new updates.

Great write up ron and history, your wife is correct that will be great therapy for you to get in that shop and work on the car you love.your shop is plenty big enough for you to build that car back better than walter p chrysler worker did.its not how big your shop is,but what you accomplish within the space you have.beep beep.

I agree with you Ron. Working on our cars as a hobby is very therapeutic. I know it helps me to keep my mind off bad things when it's needed. You will have a wonderful car when it's done. I had a similar experience shortly after I started this thread. Our computer was zapped by lightning and I lost some pictures. Burning copies is a good idea.

I'm following your build closely !!!!!

Thanks again for starting this thread.

Auto Transport Service
Back