• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Project Rat Rod V code 70 Charger R/T is about to begin.

chargervert

Local time
9:39 AM
Reaction score
I was going to sell my 70 Charger R/T V code automatic project car,but as I got the car cleaned up,and repaired the worst areas of the car,which is a California car,I decided that I was going to keep the car,and put it together and drive it. No fancy paint job on this one,I want to make the car mechanically sound,and drive it,and continue to finess the body while I do. The car has the matching numbers 440 Sixpack engine in it,but it needs to be rebuilt,and needs pistons and a crankshaft. The original plan was to build the matching numbers engine with a Source 440 stroker kit,and Source stealth heads. The current plan,though is going to use the fresh built 68 440 that I have for my other 70 Charger R/T project,an 18 spline 4 speed,and a 3.54 Dana 60 that is also slated for that project. The plan is to rebuild the front suspension,and brakes,change out the rear axle,and drop in the 68 440 with a sixpack and drive the car,and break in the driveline that will be going into the other 70 R/t when the car is ready for it. Today,I went out to the garage and dug out the Dana 60,all the new suspension,and brake rebuild parts for the project.

Pics
20180910_161130.jpg
20180910_161130.jpg
20180910_161140.jpg
20180910_161151.jpg
20190728_172010.jpg

So this is where the project is at now. It is on the lift so I can clean up the underside of the trunk floor pan. I replaced the center section of the trunk floor with a section from an original Charger, in between the frame rails. I retained the original spotwelds on the frame rails. Once I get this area cleaned up and blended in and painted, I can get started on the mechanicals and suspension. The other 70 Charger R / T in the photo is the car that the driveline will eventually end up in. I am hoping to build the matching numbers engine for the V code, and have it ready to go into the car when the driveline swap occurs. The other Charger R / T is also a California car, and an original plum crazy purple car. The plan for that car is to build a replica of the purple 70 440 Sixpack
20191103_132110.jpg
Charger R / T Daytona sunroof car.

you are Blessed,wish I could of bought the charger. Im more towards the 68/69 chargers. Cant wait to see it done.

So this is where the project is at now. It is on the lift so I can clean up the underside of the trunk floor pan. I replaced the center section of the trunk floor with a section from an original Charger, in between the frame rails. I retained the original spotwelds on the frame rails. Once I get this area cleaned up and blended in and painted, I can get started on the mechanicals and suspension. The other 70 Charger R / T in the photo is the car that the driveline will eventually end up in. I am hoping to build the matching numbers engine for the V code, and have it ready to go into the car when the driveline swap occurs. The other Charger R / T is also a California car, and an original plum crazy purple car. The plan for that car is to build a replica of the purple 70 440 Sixpack View attachment 870921 Charger R / T Daytona sunroof car.
Nice proyect, can I ask you one question, where did you buy the lift? Thanks

Good to see you back at it. I understand that you are "Car rich" with projects. White is a pretty rare color for these cars. It seems far more were green, blue, black or red.
It looks like your paint in the repaired areas is a matte finish. Is that to avoid contrast against the existing old paint?
I've admired the Charger convertible since seeing it in Mopar Action magazine nearly 20 years ago. Do you have any recent pictures of the car? I've seen you post pictures of pictures but not anything recent. Is it buried under piles of stuff in your garage?

The orange convertible Charger is tucked away in my car trailer. I put a fresh 440 in it,and the transmission started a acting up. I had a new transmission built for the car, I just need to get it installed.

i know you said that is a california car,im just wondering if you bought it in massachusetts?
specifically bellingham mass,right next to the black 383 2 bbl one.

i used to ride the bus to school and those 2 chargers started a lifetime love of mopars.
the white one was the one i wanted...so bad...my fav color...
that Is my dream car..not so much the v code,but the color combo and the year.

im glad you are finally going to be able to enjoy your car too :thumbsup:

I remember looking at those two Chargers many years ago. I got the white 70 Charger from Troy Hawkes in Texas. I traded him a 69 Charger 500 for it. The car in Bellingham was a U code R/T. I believe the white car was originally red.

Last edited:
Good to see you back at it. I understand that you are "Car rich" with projects. White is a pretty rare color for these cars. It seems far more were green, blue, black or red.
It looks like your paint in the repaired areas is a matte finish. Is that to avoid contrast against the existing old paint?
I've admired the Charger convertible since seeing it in Mopar Action magazine nearly 20 years ago. Do you have any recent pictures of the car? I've seen you post pictures of pictures but not anything recent. Is it buried under piles of stuff in your garage?
The Station Night club fire almost prevented me from seeing the car in the magazine! Luckily we escaped unharmed!

Auto Transport Service
Back