• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Project snafu

BigFlo

Local time
6:50 PM
Reaction score
Ran into a problem test fitting my radiator yesterday- it hits the fan, ugh. About 1/2” to 3/4” interference.
Project summary:
65 bevdere sedan. Original /6 with 3 spd manual, converting to 383 with 4 spd.
383 motor is 1968 date code
Am using a ‘63-65 big block Kframe.
Standard OEM water pump housing.
Flowkooler Mopar water pump.
OEM clutch fan, 18” # 863-216.

I bought a Griffin exact fit radiator for ‘65 Belvedere. It is 3 3/4” deep from the mounting flange to the front of fins.

With this combo of parts, I suspect the Griffin radiator may be deeper than OEM.

What are my options to solve this?
Any help is appreciated!

“Staples….That was Easy!”
Thanks for the quick reply. I didn’t finish making a sandwich and already had a response, lol.
Looks like that will work. I’ll take some measurements to confirm.
I’m not a motor head - I did my own body and paint but this forum is great for advice.
Thanks!

Unknown.jpeg

More reading if you punch in " short water pump" in the search bar

What is not easy is getting the bolts started, not allot of room... One trick, use one stud/cut off bolt to hold the pulley in alignment & help line up the fan clutch.... With the slots you can slide the clutch over the one stud, then slide it onto the waterpump shaft... Now it's located by two points so the bolts should start easily... Get a couple bolts started then remove the stud/cut off bolt & install the proper bolt....

What is not easy is getting the bolts started, not allot of room... One trick, use one stud/cut off bolt to hold the pulley in alignment & help line up the fan clutch.... With the slots you can slide the clutch over the one stud, then slide it onto the waterpump shaft... Now it's located by two points so the bolts should start easily... Get a couple bolts started then remove the stud/cut off bolt & install the proper bolt....
Great tip. I was about how I would get the bolts in that reduced space. Thanks

This front accessories and radiator fit is still kicking my butt. Additional info from my original post.
My plan is to add aftermarket AC. I have manual steering.
I purchased the Bouchillon brackets for alternator, AC compressor and idler pully. That setup requires a 4-groove crack pulley. The two inside grooves are for alternator. The third groove is open (I think that is where the power steering belt would go if I had it). And the outermost groove is for the AC belt.
I picked up a Mopar race fan because I can't fit the standard or the Hayden clutch fan.

Here are the measurements I get:
5 1/2" from the water pump pulley surface to the radiator core support.
With a 1" fan spacer I get:
3 1/8" from the leading fan tip to the rad core support
1/2" from the trailing fan edge to the crank pulley

Based on what I've read, we want 1" clearance from leading edge of fan to radiator and 1/4" min clearance from the trailing edge of fan to the belts/pulleys.
For radiator space, I have 3 1/8" available minus 1" clearance which is 2 1/8" for radiator thickness. Not sure that exists but I haven't found one. I called ECP and their radiator is 3 1/8" thick at the tanks and 2 5/8" at the core.

If I used a 3/4" fan spacer, instead of 1", I could pick up 1/4" at the front- so that gets me to 2 3/8" clearance for the radiator and 1/4" clearance at the trailing fan edge.

What are folks using for '65's with 383 and AC? Do I need to rethink this whole front accessory set-up?

EngineBay2.jpg

EngineBay3.jpg

EngineBay4.jpg

EngineBay5.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back