• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Project Tetanus

Gunner1

Local time
4:08 AM
Reaction score
Well I found a lot more rust in this thing so I’m gonna start a build thread. I bought it off auto trader. Only a hundred miles from home. Almost made it home then the driveshaft said. I’m done. That ruined the rear seal which puked trans fluid all over the highway. Motor pinged. First change. Replace burned points with a Petronius unit. Set timing to 12 Btdc swap 600 Carter with a 750 Holley rear springs shot so I ordered a set of cal trac splits. I have a new 3 row aluminum rad with dual fans. Last is a new alt and some short term gages till I know what way this is gonna go.
32EEDE67-4482-4F0A-A743-31F6AFDAAEF2.jpeg
D1959D27-AEE4-4B6E-B44E-4E78D50890C1.jpeg
A33BF7CD-B2E4-4C7F-906A-CFE503ADFCF5.jpeg
69210FD9-AD00-4A6E-AD91-8818A510FDCF.jpeg

Sorry to hear of your surprise finds. I had to replace the front floor and trunk floor in my '64 Polara. I used AMD panels and they fit pretty well. I cut the old pans out myself, but had a friend that knew what he was doing weld the new panels in.

So I went to auto zone to have my Battery load tested. It was to dead to test. They put it on the charger in back for 30 min. 13 volts. Hit the key and whaa whaa whaa, clik click. dropped to 9 volts. So New Battery 800 CCA tested 12.5. Car didnt even spin twice and it was running. So he loads the Alt a bit and crickets. I need a new alt too. I forgot just how fun old cars are in the beginning. Lucky me Moms been building a war chest for parts so I'm ok for a few more suprises.I shot a short video. Of it running, I'll post a link to my Y Tube after I load it.

Here are some destruction/construction pictures of my 1964 Polara front and trunk floors replacement. That is my original floor in the blue bin. Maybe I should list it on Craigslist; " Original 1964 Dodge front floor for sale. Best offer " LOL

P1250127.JPG P1250134.JPG P1290142.JPG PC150249.JPG PA060126.JPG P6050001.JPG P6180181.JPG

Here are some destruction/construction pictures of my 1964 Polara front and trunk floors replacement. That is my original floor in the blue bin. Maybe I should list it on Craigslist; " Original 1964 Dodge front floor for sale. Best offer " LOL

View attachment 1204598 View attachment 1204599 View attachment 1204601 View attachment 1204603 View attachment 1204604 View attachment 1204605 View attachment 1204606
Holy Sheep dip Batman. That is way way beyond what I am looking forward too. How long did it take you to get the floor back together?

Holy Sheep dip Batman. That is way way beyond what I am looking forward too. How long did it take you to get the floor back together?
It only took my friend about a day to weld new floor in, but I had spent about another day laying out weld lines and drilling weld holes in the new pan. What took the most time was getting the old floor out in sections with cut off wheels and chisel.

Just checked them. They don’t support the 63’s so much. I’ll keep searching until it’s time to do them. Then I’ll have to make some decisions.

When you get repair projects like what you have coming, look at what else in the area would be good to take care of too. For floors, the seats/carpet/console/wiring etc needs to be removed. Any insulation replaced. Time for sound deadener, redo seats, new carpet, rust coatings etc.

When you get repair projects like what you have coming, look at what else in the area would be good to take care of too. For floors, the seats/carpet/console/wiring etc needs to be removed. Any insulation replaced. Time for sound deadener, redo seats, new carpet, rust coatings etc.
Torque boxes are on the list as is seat belt anchor points. Not sure yet what rust coating I want to use. Has to be paintable as the interior is going red too. I got ideas from your build.

Almost forgot. The trans went south on the drive home. I live about a mile from Art Carrs shop. I got it there and asked for a really stout street trans. He did a Billet drum, extra clutches, and a full manual reversed valve body. A 11 inch 3000 rpm torque converter softens the hit around town. But above 3k it barks. A new heavy duty driveshaft tops it off. The old guy is so full of stories and is great fun to talk to.

Just bought new headlight rings from Special T”s. Really nice guy. He has a few more new ones left. The Cal Trac splits showed up today.

Last edited:
You mentioned to 1STMP that you were in Khe San back in the day. Were you ever stationed at Pendleton? I grew up 1/4 mile south of the Naval Weapons fence and 2 east of the CP fence in Fallbrook. My good friend John, who lives in Ramona, was 82nd Airborne Army in the mid to late 60's. He was an M60 gunner while being occupied as a LRP?, long range patrol. Good dude. Thank you for your service.

You mentioned to 1STMP that you were in Khe San back in the day. Were you ever stationed at Pendleton? I grew up 1/4 mile south of the Naval Weapons fence and 2 east of the CP fence in Fallbrook. My good friend John, who lives in Ramona, was 82nd Airborne Army in the mid to late 60's. He was an M60 gunner while being occupied as a LRP?, long range patrol. Good dude. Thank you for your service.
I was only at Pendleton for rifle quals and basic infantry. Rest of my time was in Camp Lejune and LTA In Orange County. 67 I was in Panama for jungle warfare school 68 was Nam. And thank You. You guys were worth the risks.

Just got my headlight rings in. The look like new factory ones. Tanks guys for the lead to Special T’s.

So I got it back from the shop doing my basic safety checks. Got new brake shoes in the rear along with new wheel cylinders and springs. A rebuild kit in the master cylinder. The front has a disc conversion kit using later B Body disc's. The new alt is hitting a solid 13.8 volts. The 3 row aluminum radiator is in and fits perfectly as does the double 12 inch electric fan shroud. Fans come on at 185 off at 175. They don't come on if the cars moving. Aftermarket mechanical gages measure Oil Pressure, water temp, and volts. Oil Pressure is 80 cold, 65 hot idle, 75 at 1500. Timing is set at 12 inital and 36 all in by 3500. Cranking pressures were about 175 pretty much across the board. You can hear that it has a small performance cam in it now that it's not running so much advance. Next on the list is a new Power steering pump and box. Both are leaking. New tires. These have a date code of 2009 and are cracking badly. New floor and trunk pans. Seat Belts for sure. Drivers rear quarter has a lot of waves and filler in it. Slow but sure.

So I got it back from the shop doing my basic safety checks. Got new brake shoes in the rear along with new wheel cylinders and springs. A rebuild kit in the master cylinder. The front has a disc conversion kit using later B Body disc's. The new alt is hitting a solid 13.8 volts. The 3 row aluminum radiator is in and fits perfectly as does the double 12 inch electric fan shroud. Fans come on at 185 off at 175. They don't come on if the cars moving. Aftermarket mechanical gages measure Oil Pressure, water temp, and volts. Oil Pressure is 80 cold, 65 hot idle, 75 at 1500. Timing is set at 12 inital and 36 all in by 3500. Cranking pressures were about 175 pretty much across the board. You can hear that it has a small performance cam in it now that it's not running so much advance. Next on the list is a new Power steering pump and box. Both are leaking. New tires. These have a date code of 2009 and are cracking badly. New floor and trunk pans. Seat Belts for sure. Drivers rear quarter has a lot of waves and filler in it. Slow but sure.
Try Retro Belts for seat belts. They have seat belts that resemble originals and are reasonably priced. Sherman's in Detroit are only people who have rear quarter repair panels. They are kinda crude, but nothing else out there.

Try Retro Belts for seat belts. They have seat belts that resemble originals and are reasonably priced. Sherman's in Detroit are only people who have rear quarter repair panels. They are kinda crude, but nothing else out there.
Thanks I’ll check them out.

When you do your pump and box exchange, add a filter into the return line to the pump. Catches any junk in the system. NAPA and several of the p/s hose companies have them. Its basically an inline 3/8" trans filter.

Bringing back memories. In ‘70 I always used the rear gate at Fallbrook going to the ammo dump.

Put in a Champion 3 row aluminum radiator with two 12 inch fans on a full shroud. It works awesome. 160 thermostat. Relays are set at 180 on, 165 off. In town it cycles slowly. On the highway it sits at 160. It use to puke all the time. 230 or more. Rebuilt steering box is ordered. Put a bottle. Of lucas octane booster in a full tank of Chevron 91. It’s now very drivable. But still won’t take more than 1/2 throttle in second. First will blister the tires though. Hopefully I can pull a valve cover and see what heads I have. Them look at a plug to make sure it’s not to hot or an extended tip. Maybe try to see a piston top. 175 psi is high for a non quench Chevy. I know the RB motors do it all the time. I think my cam is too small. It sure sounds tame.

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back