• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Project Update - Electrical

MoparHusker

Local time
5:43 PM
Reaction score
As a reminder, I have a 73 Charger that while being stored at my ex in-laws place, had some pack rats get under the hood and chew a number of wires off. I think I finally have all the wires connected, except for the spark plug wires.

It was a real PITA. Some wires were still long enough I could use a butt connector to put them back together. Some of them had chunks chewed out of them, so I had to add in splices. Then I found other wires that looked like they may have been snipped by a previous owner. Looks like they did not like the turn signals on top of the fenders and it appears it has an aftermarket horn. One of the original ones was still connected and the other one was not.

I opted to only do repairs as I did not want to sock a bunch of money into the wiring. My goal is to get it running and back on the road after 25 years. When I do a restoration, then I will do a new wiring harness. It does not look pretty, but hoping it all works. Just got a new battery, so hoping to put it in and see if I have any wires that start to smoke.

The next step is for me to degrease and power wash everything and start the next items. New plug wires, coil wire and spark plugs, although I am considering cleaning the old plugs and use them until I get the car running and then put in the new plugs. That way I don’t foul up the new ones.

I am also adding a tach as well that I need to finish wiring in.

Where can a person find the better connectors? Just want to know in case the ones I used do not hold.

Are you planning on keeping the car? I mean, fire is a real issue. Flat bed it to a garage and get all new harnesses. It’s going to save you several hrs of hell

Let’s see….chewed wires, butt connectors and a high pressure washer, eh what can go wrong?
22FA0546-9497-4C45-8C14-F60DF2106CEF.gif

By the sounds of your damage, I would be replacing the harness now. An engine harness is not expensive, can be reused where you restore the car, and series peice of mind.

Why, oh why, would you take a chance on an unseen gremlin that could cause major damage when you least expect it ? You DON'T want to say " I shoulda..."

Go for a new harness you will not rerget it or make sure your car is insured for fire!

I appreciate all of the concern and feedback.

I am trying to be somewhat budget conscious and there are a few unknowns yet as what my remaining costs will be. Do I have to shorten the driveshaft? Will I need to get a new radiator, water pump or clutch fan or all of the above to solve an overheating problem? My goal was really to be frugal and on fix what I really needed to and upgrade a few items.

I probably would not take it to someone else to have a wiring harness put in and it would take months for me to do it as I don’t have unlimited time. I really wanted to get it into a running condition this summer and I still have a lot to do.

It is a calculated risk on my part and I have been pretty careful with the wiring and paying attention to make sure it is not coming apart. I did find some of the wires were not matching up with what are in the wiring diagrams, but I know the car used to run and did not have wiring issues. I am sure I have everything wired back correctly, it just doesn’t look factory. If I could have found properly color coded wires, without having to buy the whole harness, I would have gotten them instead of putting in splices.

I can report that I put the battery in and after some additional cleaning of the terminals, I was able to check out the blinkers, headlights and the side markers. I tried to bump the starter, but it did not engage. The battery seemed a bit weak for some reason, so I put the battery charger on it.

I did bring out my fire extinguisher and if I get to a point where I smoke a wire, I know I will have to redo all the wiring at that point.

thank you again for the feedback!

Auto Transport Service
Back