• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Proper Paint Colors and Plating for 70 Air Grabber Under hood Parts

72ls5fla

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
6:10 AM
Reaction score
Hello --

removed all the under hood parts for the air grabber.
kinda hard to tell the correct plating for certain parts. Parts rusty or faded.

1. bracket that holds vacuum actuator for the door.
2. vacuum actuator
3. rod that connects all moving parts together.
4. captive washer nuts that hold the air box to the hood.
5. bolts for the vacuum actuator mounting bracket.
6. pretty sure the flapper door and hold-down brackets are orange - any particular shade.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks - Bill

Here are some photos of an NOS actuator and bracket. They have kind of an olive green look to them. I believe the shaft on the air grabber flapper was similar in color. The orange color on the flap assembly and end caps may be the same as the air cleaner top color....not 100% sure.

IMG_7275.JPG IMG_7276.JPG IMG_7277.JPG IMG_7278.JPG IMG_7279.JPG

The nuts that hold the air box to bottom of the hood are plated in a gold color similar to heater box and seat track nuts. Bolts that attach actuator to bottom of hood are black oxide.

Nuts are plated in whats called zinc dichromate. Clear zinc plating with a yellow conversion coating. Giving it the yellow gold iridescent color.

Hello --

removed all the under hood parts for the air grabber.
kinda hard to tell the correct plating for certain parts. Parts rusty or faded.

1. bracket that holds vacuum actuator for the door.
2. vacuum actuator
3. rod that connects all moving parts together.
4. captive washer nuts that hold the air box to the hood.
5. bolts for the vacuum actuator mounting bracket.
6. pretty sure the flapper door and hold-down brackets are orange - any particular shade.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks - Bill
1) Some people say the bracket is zinc plated, some say plain steel, I think it's cadmium plated. The black coating on it, that you can see in the pictures that 70gtx440dana provided, is some sort of rust inhibitor, I have no idea what kind, 70gtx might be able to give you more insight into that.

2) The vacuum actuator itself is black zinc plated not black paint. As 70gtx points out they have an almost iridescent look to them, that's how black zinc plating looks.

3) I'm not sure which rod you're talking about, if it's the actuator rod it's zinc or cadmium plated, probably cadmium. Either way it's probably the same plating as the bracket. If you're talking about the main rod that drives the flapper, I'm blanking on that but I thought it was zinc or cadmium again, but I could be mistaken, 70gtx might be correct and it's black zinc, I'm not sure.

4) I thought they were black phosphate not yellow zinc. It's been a long time since I've seen mine in their original color.

5) Black phosphate.

6) Orange. I'm saying the same as 70gtx probably the same as the air cleaner lid but I'm not certain enough to bet on it, would need a little more research.
Hope that helps a little.

Hey Joe, how much you want for an nos vacuum actuator? :D

wow -
great information - many thanks!

this will make restoring the air grabber setup so much easier.

Bill

Auto Transport Service
Back