• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Proper Stripes for 68 Super Bee

dcollord98

Local time
3:24 PM
Reaction score
I have been restoring a 68 Super Bee and have been trying to get accurate information on original appearance of the car. Obviously, there is the main stripe around the back. However, I have seen some Super Bees with two horizontal black stripes on the top and bottom of the tail panel and some without. Was every Super Bee given these stripes, was it an option of the buyer, or did it only come with cars that had black instead of white stripes? Thanks for any info

Most people get the tail panel treatment wrong; the bumblebee stripe is indeed
two thick stripes in the middle, surrounded by one thinner one on each side.
Here's what things should look like:
OIP.jpg

The only problem with this picture is that in 1968 - there was no metal Bee emblem.
There was a decal Bee on the tail panel where this one has the metal one.
Grille had the D O D G E letters only, no Bee or anything else.

I remember seeing a few on the dealer's lot(new) with stripe delete. Just the circle & Bee; most were like Ed showed. On mine, the rearward edge of thin stripe was 3/4" from edge of chrome marker bezel.

I believe the OP is asking about the tail panel upper and lower striping. I remember a thread on this very subject last year...

I believe the OP is asking about the tail panel upper and lower striping. I remember a thread on this very subject last year...
Brain pan not engaged correctly, think you're right. I "think" they all came with that. And, not in white(?).

I reckon I covered that part also.

Brain pan not engaged correctly, think you're right. I "think" they all came with that. And, not in white(?).
Flat black for every one I've ever owned or have seen original examples of. YMMV
You're right about the stripe delete option as well - the first '68 Bee I ever saw, back when they were new,
was a neighbor's who bought a brown looking one with just the super bee logos on the quarters.

It's funny what we remember from childhood, but I remember vividly when the family would be returning
home (in our '68 Monaco wagon!) and the headlights would hit the side of that Bee, causing the decal Bee
to glow...I was about 7 then. :)

Stripes, only 2 colors white or black? Pretty sure.

Wasn't red an option also?
Yeah, my 2nd totally original one was white with the red bumblebee stripes.
The taillight surround remained black like all of them, though.

Auto Transport Service
Back