• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Property taxes. They should wear a condom for screwing me like this.

elephantengine

Local time
4:34 AM
Reaction score
I don't know about everyone else but I just got my property tax statement and it's $3200 and that's with a $570 homeowners grant. No garbage pickup, no streetlights, no services I see. What are property taxes like in your area. Oh, and my home is an old bungalow. Hate to see what my brothers are.

Where's Maple Ridge? I live in CA if you want to know about taxes".....

30 Miles West of Chicago, 2500 Sq./Ft. house, 2 car detatched garage, lot is 180 deep X 100 Wide. Taxes:7200.00Illinois! We have the best politicians that money can buy!

20 miles west Chicago 7000.0 a year . Yeah we pay and the politicians get good room in board in fed prison!

I have always had a beef with property taxes.

I have property that I paid for with after tax money that I earned through my hard work.

In my case I pay about 5K per year to live in my house (that is paid for). This feels like rent to me? --Is this place mine or not?---

So how do those that tax us rationalize property tax? Are we expected to have extra money because we have had some in the past? More importantly ---are we a financial asset that can be tapped at will?

That old quip about why a bank robber robs banks comes to mind.--Because that's where the money is--duh.

Our home is only one kind of property. Does everything we earn/own become gov. property at the stroke of a pen??

Don't forget, renters live in a house tax-free - the property owner pays those. If there is the room to make 1/12 of the taxes a part of the monthly rent, that would add to the point that the property would sit vacant, in many places. Property taxes pay for schools - another thing renters get away with getting for free as a result.

Oklahoma has a cap on how much they can go up per year - 3%. Guess what? Everyone's goes up three percent per year. There are a handful of exemptions, such as a 100% VA disability (no property OR state sales taxes), and such.

Property taxes are from a time in this country when only rich people owned property. It's one of the few taxes where there is no transaction taking place. I had a partial exemption for a few years but now I no longer qualify because my huge income exceeds 35K a year. I own my place free and clear but eventually property taxes and insurance will force me to sell my place. I told the assessor that the should start looking for some rich guy to buy my place so he can pay the taxes. Right now my taxes are $500+ per month and no, I'm not living in a McMansion, I have a modest house and a shop on 5 acres.

x8. I hear you also. $9,000 in N.Y. Were the most screwed over residents out there in everything. Feel your pain!

Damn! I feel bad for you guys paying those kind of property taxes. I get a property tax waiver for being 100% Disabled Veteran, but that discount or waiver is only for the first 130k, so I'm on the hook for anything above that amount. Which for me 50k and at 1% plus any bonds, that comes to about 530 a year. Also the state has graciously paid for the registration on my truck, again due to being 100% Disabled Veteran.

Our place is just under $5k a year. The county assessed it at $25k over what we paid for it the week before we closed. Maybe I should sell it to Bexar country for a profit.

I had a business in Nassau County, on Long Island. The local school super was knocking down $505K per year. My share as a business owner was about $500 per week. A starter home in Syosset has a typical tax bill of about $10K per year. If you have a newer high-end house, taxes are measured in thousands per month.

Here in Franklin County PA, my total tax bill is less than $3000 per year for an 1800 SF house with a 700 SF all brick garage. I sure can't complain about that.

please! ......Sonny is " TAX intimidated ".......I pay too too much!

:icon_pale:

I want to move to maple ridge.....

Yes going to have to go talk to the man this year to see what explanation he has. Guess wrapping it in plastic to keep the elements out increased its value.

I don't know about everyone else but I just got my property tax statement and it's $3200 and that's with a $570 homeowners grant. No garbage pickup, no streetlights, no services I see. What are property taxes like in your area. Oh, and my home is an old bungalow. Hate to see what my brothers are.

I'm in East Vancouver, near the PNE. We're paying $4500 this year...although our property value also increased by $100k!

Damn! I feel bad for you guys paying those kind of property taxes. I get a property tax waiver for being 100% Disabled Veteran, but that discount or waiver is only for the first 130k, so I'm on the hook for anything above that amount. Which for me 50k and at 1% plus any bonds, that comes to about 530 a year. Also the state has graciously paid for the registration on my truck, again due to being 100% Disabled Veteran.

5.7 hemi you should be given the waiver since your disabled and served the Country. That I consider only fair and just!

5 acres and a 2100 square foot house 1200 square foot shop 1000 dollars a year in good old Oklahoma

Im not sure but my taxes are close to 4 grand a year on a 85 plus year old house on a 40x100 lot. We get garbage pickup twice a week,the snow is plowed and the streets salted as the first flake's fall. The police and fire are the best in the nation. The downside is housing is very expensive as well as other things like auto insurance

Auto Transport Service
Back