Pros and Cons of AC in 71 Charger

RockyPat

Local time
8:10 PM
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I am looking at buying a complete AC system for my car. An original one meant for big block cars. All of the pulleys and brackets are included.

Before I decide to buy it or not, I figured I would ask FBBO for y’all’s opinions.

What are the pros and cons of having an old AC system hooked up to a 71 Charger 440.

Is it worth it to you guys to go through the extra trouble of getting the AC working to have it?

Thank you all!

R413

Local time
Reaction score
Pros: cold air is nice.
Cons: it’s too much bulk and weight. I like aftermarket AC much better. Takes up way less space, and les weight.

ZR9B

Local time
10:10 PM
Reaction score
I want A/C in my 72 Charger.
I think I would go new for the same thin R413 said and I think it takes less HP from your motor. Its on my list...just not rite now.

Michael_

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
5:10 AM
Reaction score
If you dont have to work on the car then there are no cons. :D
Only real con in my opinion is that its in the way if you're working in this region.

Yeah theoretically its taking up some power but i doubt that its even noticeable.

I would not want to live without A/C.
Wish they would have offered that (and cruise control) with the hemi cars too...
Guess you can fit an aftermarket unit in those ^^

diesel_lv

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
9:10 PM
Reaction score
A/C or no A/C??? Always A/C unless you're drag racing. Anytime anyone says A/C adds weight, they only drag race. If you don't drag race, ignore that post. And of your asking about A/C, odds are you don't drag race. The factory compressor is amazing. But I'm running a new sanden w a parallel core condenser that blows steady 38° at the vent in 125° temps. Everything "inside" is stock n Everything under the hood is modern. Doesn't drag the motor down like the old factory did.

70chall440

Local time
Reaction score
I am (or will be) building a 71 Charger and I will also be putting in AC but I will be using an aftermarket or more modern system. I always hated the huge factory AC compressors.

BeepBeepRR

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
11:10 PM
Reaction score
Pros: No sweat
Cons:Swampass at a car show...Not good.

Slap Stick

Local time
Reaction score
Way back when a friend had a 70 Charger R/T with AC. That 440 never knew you turned it on.
Install old or new, if you have a new water pump and timing chain you probably wont have to worry about having to move it out of the way for repairs.

DeltaV

Endeavor to persevere
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
Reaction score
Pro: Cool air
Con: Clutter under the hood.
Question: you will go with an increased capacity radiator too?

Me: Too much hassle. The pro doesn't outweigh the con. Also, I don't like air conditioning systems in old cars.

T2R9

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
Reaction score
I am in South Carolina so AC is a must in my cars. Both are original AC cars so restoring the interior parts and using all aftermarket under the hood is how I did it. Plenty of room to work with the small compressors.

DeltaV

Endeavor to persevere
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
Reaction score
I am in Georgia, but a/c isn't a must have for me:D. My '70 Charger 383, 4 speed didn't come from the factory with a/c of course, but it had dealership-installed a/c. I removed the knee-capping unit from under the dash along with all the a/c crap in the engine bay. It isn't going back in the car. I still have the removed a/c stuff...taking up space in my garage:rolleyes:.

Oh yeah, my Charger has factory power windows:). That's the only convenience I need. :D

drhill

Local time
Reaction score
I put ac in my 71 Charger non factory ac car. Mine is a small block but I would not hesitate in doing it again. The inside looks like factory ac but that's it. I used vintage air.

YY1

Local time
Reaction score
Factory RV2 system with 134a. Blows 45 degrees.

Sure helps combat the stifling 99% humidity in FL.

Stock 318 in a 3700# car can barely feel it, but does drag the RPMs down.
I'm working on adding a compensation solenoid.

Good move to get all the AC pulleys and brackets together, as matching pulleys from different years and AC/no AC cars is called "pulley hell".

1980's trucks and 5th avenue's had sanden compressors and mounts.

RockyPat

Local time
Reaction score
Pros: cold air is nice.
Cons: it’s too much bulk and weight. I like aftermarket AC much better. Takes up way less space, and les weight.

Thank you for your comment. Unfortunately, I am on a budget that cannot afford a modern system. I went with the original system.

RockyPat

Local time
Reaction score
I want A/C in my 72 Charger.
I think I would go new for the same thin R413 said and I think it takes less HP from your motor. Its on my list...just not rite now.

Thank you for your reply. I do agree that the modern system is nice, but it is too much $$ for me right now.

RockyPat

Local time
Reaction score
If you dont have to work on the car then there are no cons. :D
Only real con in my opinion is that its in the way if you're working in this region.

Yeah theoretically its taking up some power but i doubt that its even noticeable.

I would not want to live without A/C.
Wish they would have offered that (and cruise control) with the hemi cars too...
Guess you can fit an aftermarket unit in those ^^

Thanks for your comment. I appreciate it. Good to know that the AC does not get it in the way of things very often. I like cold AC! Lol

RockyPat

Local time
Reaction score
A/C or no A/C??? Always A/C unless you're drag racing. Anytime anyone says A/C adds weight, they only drag race. If you don't drag race, ignore that post. And of your asking about A/C, odds are you don't drag race. The factory compressor is amazing. But I'm running a new sanden w a parallel core condenser that blows steady 38° at the vent in 125° temps. Everything "inside" is stock n Everything under the hood is modern. Doesn't drag the motor down like the old factory did.

Thanks for letting me know your thoughts. Very helpful stuff. I do not intend to drag race. A modern system, while nice, is too much money for me right now.

RockyPat

Local time
Reaction score
I am (or will be) building a 71 Charger and I will also be putting in AC but I will be using an aftermarket or more modern system. I always hated the huge factory AC compressors.

Thank you for the comment. Good to know that you will be using AC as well. I like the modern systems, as they perform better and save weight, but they are expensive.

RockyPat

Local time
Reaction score
Way back when a friend had a 70 Charger R/T with AC. That 440 never knew you turned it on.
Install old or new, if you have a new water pump and timing chain you probably wont have to worry about having to move it out of the way for repairs.

Great to hear that a 440 will not care about the AC system too much. Yeah I get what you are saying with repairs. I plan on doing those things. Thank you.