Pull bellhousing dowel?

Engine, Trans & Driveline

1. 493 Mike

493 Mike FBBO Gold Member FBBO Gold Member

Local Time:
    5:44 PM
    I need to pull the dowels out of the block to install offset dowels. One came out with Vise Grips but, the left dowel is really tight. The local engine shop has a Goodson kit I can borrow but it only handles up to 7/16" and mine are .500". Goodson sells a .500" collet but it is backordered until the end of July.
    Does anyone here have any tricks they would share for removal? I have read about drilling the dowel and using grease and a punch to "hydraulic" it out and welding a large nut on for mechanical advantage but I'm leery of causing any damage to the Indy Max block.
    Why do you suppose Indy would machine their block for Ford size dowels in the first place?
    Mike

2. 69Bee

69Bee FBBO Gold Member FBBO Gold Member

Local Time:
    2:44 PM
    Drill it, tap it, thread in a bolt, then grab it with a slide hammer, or thread in the slide hammer itself. You could use a long bolt to push on the block thru the dowel and push the dowel out. Or, you can drill a 1/4" hole on the closed side of the block, and use a punch to knock the dowel out.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Daves69

Daves69 Well-Known Member

Local Time:
      4:44 PM
      Maybe drill, tap, and pull.
      Grade 8 bolt, hardened washer, appropriate socket. Just an option.
      PullerImpro.jpg

• Like Like x 1
      • PurpleBeeper

PurpleBeeper Well-Known Member

Local Time:
        I like Dave & Bee's idea a lot. I have the correct dowel puller, but one of my dowels had rounded off at an angle and I couldn't use it on that one. I drilled a pilot hole, drilled larger, drilled larger, etc. until I was about 75% through the dowel and was able to chisel it from the side & break it. I think Dave/Bee's idea is a much safer one of a "jack wrench" puller or a "slide-hammer"

• moper

moper Well-Known Member

Local Time:
        Courtesy of IQ52...

Drill through it, tap it, and thread a bolt into it that has 1.5" of thread. The bolt will draw the pin out once it bottoms out in the pin bore. Works like a charm.

• 493 Mike

Local Time:
        I think I will try to drill it, although I believe it is hardened steel. A pipe wrench and Vise Grips just slide on the surface without making any marks. The query on Practical Machinist brought recommendations for carbide drill bits and talked about surface hardening, though once inside a HHS drill bit should work. I broke my last carbide drill bit but if I cut the dowel off with a cutoff wheel in my grinder I should be into the soft area of the dowel and able to drill at that point. I just do not want to be wrong!
        Thanks for the ideas guys!
        Mike

• 493 Mike

Local Time:
        OK.It's out! I welded a 1/2" nut on that I had drilled the threads out of and directly after the weld a 3/4" socket spun the dowel rather easily so I used 2 pry bars and it popped right out!
        First I tried drilling. I cut off.200-.300" and quickly blunted 2 good center punches so drilling with my equipment was out. The process worked very well. FYI.
        Mike

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
        By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.