• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pulled Trigger on 67 GTX

FlagCraig

Local time
1:23 PM
Reaction score
Just bought this GTX. It came with the 14 x 7 magnum rims. Want to give it a better stance. Thinking about 15 x 8 in rears with 255/60R and 15x7 in the front with 245/60R.

Will this fit and should I consider going with 15x8 all around?

And will air shocks take car of the sag in the back?

Thanks for help.

Attachments

• GTXSide.jpg
    GTXSide.jpg
    126.9 KB · Views: 411
60 series tire on a 8in wheel might rub in the rear, better ask around first.

I wouldn't do air shocks. Many a Plymouths out there with ripped shock towers due to undue stress. Bouncing,etc
Get new springs I suggest.

if it is stock and in good shape air shocks work...

Sonny has had many Mopars and a few had air shocks....worked fine with fill Individual air valves

BUT you car sits fine...I love the stance!

I have 15X8 with 4.5 setback/ tires 275 60 15...carful turning corners or people in back seat without Air Shocks////BUT, With air shocks 40-45 lbs in them OK////////// NO AIR SHOCKS ON PICTURES......:sunny:

Attachments

• 63 ply rear.jpg
    63 ply rear.jpg
    7.3 KB · Views: 307
  • 008.jpg
    008.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 299
I have 15 x 8 60 series in my 68. It's a pretty close and I think the 68 probably has a little more room in the wells than the 67. You have to make sure and get your back spacing correct. I would put the 7" on the front. 8" is too big.

If your springs are good in the back you can buy the "add a leaf" system from Summit Racing for only $36. It will boost your backend by 2". If your springs are bad you'll need to replace them first them put in the system. It's very simple.

255/60-15s on 15X8s will fit on the back with no rubbing if the back spacing is right. 7" rims will pull the sidewalls in a little more for more clearance than 8" rims. But I have had 255/60-15s on both 7" and 8" rims on the back of my '67 Satellite with no rubbing.

I have 235s on my 67 GTX in the Front
I think 245s and up are too large for the front.

Personally I think you should go 15 X 8s ALL the way around.
I just did 15 X 8s on a 68 Firebird I just picked up.

I believe I am going to go with 15x7 wheels and 245/60/15 tires in rear. With 15x7 in front and 235/60/15.

I would like to go with 245/60/15 in front (all four) but after all I read it could be close to rubbing.

Make sure you can find the correct backspacing especially for the rears; you will need positive offset especially with 15X8's to stay away from the wheelhouse. I wimped out and went with 225's on 15X7 for the rears but the nice thing is now I know I can safely go with 235's and move the 225's to the front when I replace the original 14's. The 15X7's will work nicely on the front or back.

Unless you're getting a package deal, why not order the 235 front setup first, then try them on the rears to be sure nothing rubs?

Oh, and by the way congratulations! Nice car.

I was going to go to Year One for the wheels because I got my Challenger wheels there and they did a nice job. Looks like their backspacing on the 15x7 is 4 1/4". So hoping with that the 245/60 will work on back and 235/60 on front.

Nice car,I just put new springs on my 66 yesterday,Check out springs and things,got the whole package for 318.00

Love the stance, I'd leave it alone. :headbang:

255/60-15s on 15X8s will fit on the back with no rubbing if the back spacing is right. 7" rims will pull the sidewalls in a little more for more clearance than 8" rims. But I have had 255/60-15s on both 7" and 8" rims on the back of my '67 Satellite with no rubbing.

Would you let him know what the back spacings where? I know 15x7 will fit just do not see 15x8 in there and still being safe with out some sheet metal work.

The stance looks like Dad's car. :) I would go with new springs and air shocks. The new springs will do most of your heavy lifting and the air shocks allow you to raise or lower depending on your needs.

Would you let him know what the back spacings where? I know 15x7 will fit just do not see 15x8 in there and still being safe with out some sheet metal work.

Come to think of it, I did do some rolling of my quarter panel lips with the 15X8s, but I know for a fact that 255/60-15s will work on 15X7 "cop wheels" because that's what I ran before I rolled the quarter panel lips and they didn't rub. I think the cop wheels are 4 and 1/4" back spacing. Wheels that are 4 and 1/2" backspacing are better because it pulls them in away from the quarter panel more.

So here is what I did with the stance. 235/70/15 all around. Air shocks in rear. Have driven for a few weeks now and it drives nice. Took me a while to get used to the rake but I like it. Happy with it.

Attachments

• StanceGTX.jpg
    StanceGTX.jpg
    127.6 KB · Views: 162
Auto Transport Service
Back