• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pulling steering wheel on 68 Net

Hilljack68

Local time
6:13 AM
Reaction score
Are there any good threads or videos on pulling the wheel? I've never had to do it before, so I want to go in with a little knowledge about it. It appears I need to rent a puller from the local parts store. Thanks in advance.

https://www.amazon.com/ABN-Harmonic...s=steering+wheel+puller&qid=1600005680&sr=8-3

91a5+p-VK7L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Back in my younger days I used to get lucky quite often. Hands at 9 & 3, legs jammed on firewall and rock wheel sideways back&forth while pulling. Stop before hitting your face with wheel. Worked on every model of car 75% of the time.

Back in my younger days I used to get lucky quite often. Hands at 9 & 3, legs jammed on firewall and rock wheel sideways back&forth while pulling. Stop before hitting your face with wheel. Worked on every model of car 75% of the time.
I used to remove them in a similar fashion when I was you except while pulling on the wheel, I would wack the stud with a brass hammer. I did a lot of crazy things in my driveway as a teenager.

That's why you keep the nut on there by a couple of threads. I learned the hard way too.

Advanced Auto will rent you a puller. Pay up front for the tool and they refund the full amount when you return it.

Think doing the yank it off method today you could end up with a cracked steering wheel. I've done the yank method but no more.

Think doing the yank it off method today you could end up with a cracked steering wheel. I've done the yank method but no more.
Fran, tried procedure on Semi's and it hardly ever worked!! Getting old is h--- isn't it?!!

Knees hurt before, had them replaced. Dislocated right ankle in 2009 it can't be replaced because 225 lb is the most you can weigh. So hydrocodone take that work 2 hrs then pay the piper when it wears off.

Knees hurt before, had them replaced. Dislocated right ankle in 2009 it can't be replaced because 225 lb is the most you can weigh. So hydrocodone take that work 2 hrs then pay the piper when it wears off.
Gotta agree with ya!!!(I did say "way-back")

Thanks BeepBeep. That's a helpful video; just what I was looking for. I'll be putting on a Grant wheel this weekend.

Auto Transport Service
Back