• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Punta Gorda, Fl. Mech.

Jeff Peterson

ROARING '65's!
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
9:22 AM
Reaction score
Can any of you FL. guys recommend an honest foreign car mechanic around the Punta Gorda area?
My in laws live there and my father in law passed away last year, he has a mint 1980 MG midget that the key won't turn or come out of the switch, It's been sitting for 2 years with the battery connected and I think there was probably a draw, combined with the salt air, that has corroded the switch.
This was the 2nd marriage for both of them and the proceeds from the sale of the car goes to his daughters. It's the last thing to settle the estate.
My mother in law is 80 years old and of course knows nothing about cars. I don't think it would take much to get it going, but in these times, if she just reached out to whoever, I think we all know how it would end up, "well ma'am I'm gonna' need $1000 to get started on this mess!":(
PM or on here, Thanks for any help!, Jeff

Here's a pic, dandy lil' car
And I'll add if anyone's interested, he had noted that he thought the car should be worth $7500...........but I don't know the market of these.
IMG_1496.jpg

Last edited:
Does it need to be in reverse like a '70 B body?? or a button/lever on the left side of the column to push in before turning the key? Possibly a small button right below the key slot, push in turn key..

That makes sense, but like I said she's alone and not mechanically inclined, I don't think it's anything I couldn't over come in a few minutes, but I'm 1,400 miles away. :(

Wish I was closer I would go take a look. Hopefully someone close will chime in. Good luck.

How long ago was that picture taken? Cause it don't look like a car thats been sitting for two year.... I'm betting the car doesn't look like that anymore...

No meaning to rain on anyones parade but lots of folks price their car at what they think it should sell for... Then it sits....

Here's an Ebay search for MG Midgits that actually sold...

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nk...sop=12&_dmd=1&_ipg=200&LH_Complete=1&_fosrp=1

None look as clean as your picture, but I'm betting this one doesn't look that good right now either...

Can any of you FL. guys recommend an honest foreign car mechanic around the Punta Gorda area?
My in laws live there and my father in law passed away last year, he has a mint 1980 MG midget that the key won't turn or come out of the switch, It's been sitting for 2 years with the battery connected and I think there was probably a draw, combined with the salt air, that has corroded the switch.
This was the 2nd marriage for both of them and the proceeds from the sale of the car goes to his daughters. It's the last thing to settle the estate.
My mother in law is 80 years old and of course knows nothing about cars. I don't think it would take much to get it going, but in these times, if she just reached out to whoever, I think we all know how it would end up, "well ma'am I'm gonna' need $1000 to get started on this mess!":(
PM or on here, Thanks for any help!, Jeff

Here's a pic, dandy lil' car
And I'll add if anyone's interested, he had noted that he thought the car should be worth $7500...........but I don't know the market of these.
View attachment 1092233
Jeff, I know a guy in Punta Gorda who retired from a dealership. PM me your phone number and I will pass it on to him. And let him contact you.

How long ago was that picture taken? Cause it don't look like a car thats been sitting for two year.... I'm betting the car doesn't look like that anymore...

No meaning to rain on anyones parade but lots of folks price their car at what they think it should sell for... Then it sits....

Here's an Ebay search for MG Midgits that actually sold...

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=MG+Midget&_in_kw=1&_ex_kw=&_sacat=0&LH_Sold=1&_udlo=&_udhi=&_samilow=&_samihi=&_sadis=15&_stpos=95358-9453&_sargn=-1&saslc=1&_salic=1&_sop=12&_dmd=1&_ipg=200&LH_Complete=1&_fosrp=1

None look as clean as your picture, but I'm betting this one doesn't look that good right now either...
That's the picture when he bought it, I have more current, but that was the first one I had, since then it's been coddled and maintained with an open checkbook and stored covered in their garage, unfortunately his health declined in the last 2-3 years and car has just sat.
And thanks for your appraisal, here's the same car (ONE OF ONLY 6,668 BUILT) that was sold, the asking price was $21,900, so I'm guessing a little north of the $7500 value he placed on his.
https://www.schmitt.com/inventory/1980-mg-mgb-limited-edition-roadster/

Get it running and then sell it via
https://bringatrailer.com/auctions/

Also, pay a professional to thoroughly detail the car before the bring a trailer folks send a photographer.

Last edited:
As far as the ignition key goes, look for directions in the manual; check the glovebox.

Thats a B. If its been sitting for two years with gas in the carb and tank thats not great. I believe it has a Stromburg carb and they can be problematic. A popular conversion is the weber downdraft carb and manifold. My opinion is any MGB should have a battery cut-off switch, especially one with original wiring. Rubber bumper B's don't generally bring big dollars, if not equipped with over drive even less, however if the body is truly rust free you could get a better price.
Any rust in the rockers would drastically reduce the price, the rockers and structure underneath is the strength of the car.
MG's need to be driven, the more they sit the more problems... Id say that car the way it sits now assuming the body is truly rust free and the body and interior are in excellent condition would be in the 5 to 7 grand range, more of course if it was all sorted out and running in top shape
Best of luck and my condolences on your loss

Auto Transport Service
Back