• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Purge/bleed power steering system

ncrobb

Local time
1:24 AM
Reaction score
I put a new power steering gear, pump and lines on my ‘73 Road Runner. I added fluid and started the engine then shut it off to check the fluid level. I added some and I guess put too much in. Then I started the engine and did the turn it lock to lock to try and purge the air out. I turned it lock to lock for at least 5 minutes and when I stopped it was still making noises and resistance to turning still varyied. When I went to check the level the fluid had frothed up and pushed out of the reservoir. I let it sit over night, did not add any fluid and didn’t the same procedure getting the same results. When I checked the fluid it didn’t seem as frothy. I wiped up the mess and went for a test drive. The steering is firmer than before I changed the components and still makes some noise when turned. Is there a trick to purging the system? At least it isn’t pushing out the cap and the fluid doesn't look as frothy.

Turning lock to lock is the only way I have ever done it, but it will take a while to work all the air out. As long as the fittings are tight, and the gear seals are good, it should smooth out.

Mark

5 minutes is a long time.
I usually just go back and forth about 3 or 4 times and then drive it.
Did you have it jacked up initially?

5 minutes is a long time.
I usually just go back and forth about 3 or 4 times and then drive it.
Did you have it jacked up initially?
No, I had the tires on pieces of cardboard on concrete shop floor. I’m going to do the lock to lock process again and will jack up the front end.

No, I had the tires on pieces of cardboard on concrete shop floor. I’m going to do the lock to lock process again and will jack up the front end.
I would think that the air entrainment would have worked it's way out by now. Try leaving the cap off and watch it.

I put a new power steering gear, pump and lines on my ‘73 Road Runner. I added fluid and started the engine then shut it off to check the fluid level. I added some and I guess put too much in. Then I started the engine and did the turn it lock to lock to try and purge the air out. I turned it lock to lock for at least 5 minutes and when I stopped it was still making noises and resistance to turning still varyied. When I went to check the level the fluid had frothed up and pushed out of the reservoir. I let it sit over night, did not add any fluid and didn’t the same procedure getting the same results. When I checked the fluid it didn’t seem as frothy. I wiped up the mess and went for a test drive. The steering is firmer than before I changed the components and still makes some noise when turned. Is there a trick to purging the system? At least it isn’t pushing out the cap and the fluid doesn't look as frothy.
Out of curiosity, what type of fluid dud you use? Hopefully not ATF (any variety). Power steering fluid is actually hydraulic oil, modified to approximately SAE 20W viscosity, with anti wear, anti foam additives for temperature and pressure stabilization. Usually specified as ISO-VIS 46 (International Standards Orginization or an API equilivant).......but NOT ATF......in spite of what you've been told or heard.......
BOB RENTON

It’s Prestone brand power steering fluid. Says it’s compatible with all types and manufacturers.

I took the cap off to watch what was happening and saw the pump was picking all the fluid into the system and emptying the reservoir. When I shut the engine off all the fluid rushes back into the reservoir and over flowed. I took a chance and added fluid with a long funnel while it was running thinking the worse that could happen was it would just get forced out. Some magic happened as I turned it lock to lock - I guess the level was above the ports and the air lock got pushed out. She’s back to working like it used to.

This may be helpful.

Out of curiosity, what type of fluid dud you use? Hopefully not ATF (any variety). Power steering fluid is actually hydraulic oil, modified to approximately SAE 20W viscosity, with anti wear, anti foam additives for temperature and pressure stabilization. Usually specified as ISO-VIS 46 (International Standards Orginization or an API equilivant).......but NOT ATF......in spite of what you've been told or heard.......
BOB RENTON
Rick Ehrenberg, another "engineer", stated that with the Borgeson steering box, any P/S or transmission fluid is fine.....even cheap Wal Mart ATF.
He is wrong about that?

Auto Transport Service
Back