• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Purple Shaft?

wagonman

Local time
11:20 PM
Reaction score
Pulled a supposed 509 cam out of my 400. Stamped P4120236, looked at Mancini and the have a 235 and a 237 but no 236. Might be an older # but what is it?

Pulled out a 1997 Mopar Performance catalog and that number is not in it. So it's gotta be older that that. The 235 is the .484, the 237 is the .509. That's all I know..

I have a 1983 Direct Connection book and they don't list it, just the 35 & 37.

Thanks Guys. I guess the new shafts dont have the purple paint on them. Other #s on it are 111031 471862 and 417041 but dont have the P before the #s. Mystery shaft I guess. It is a brand new shaft with lifters but I dont think I would run it anyway. If I can find any info I will post it.

The purple stripe cam in my 440+6 70 RR has only 4 or so visible numbers on it, but it is purple!
Myself and others have guessed it is a 292°/.509 by the sound and performance.
Works well for me.
Sounds great with open cutouts:

If I remember correctly you can get close to the specs on a cam by measuring the base circle diameter of the cam then the total height of the lobe, subtract the two and take your total and multiply by your rocker arm ratio (usually 1.5). That should get you close to your lift. Measure intake and exhaust lobes. Maybe one of the engine guys can chime in to see if this is correct.

The purple stripe cam in my 440+6 70 RR has only 4 or so visible numbers on it, but it is purple!
Myself and others have guessed it is a 292°/.509 by the sound and performance.
Works well for me.
Sounds great with open cutouts:

Very Nice R/R you have there. I am heading to N.O. late November with a possible side trip to My Uncles in Crowley. Sure could use a fun blast in your car. Where you At?

Here goes on this mystery shaft. Correct Me if I am wrong. I installed the shaft in my 470 while waiting on the new one. Set the whole shebang up with the SA gears, found TDC using a strap style piston stop. Got the lifter on the base circle and rotated till .050 lifter rise and noted on the wheel 14 degrees before TDC. Also checked total lift times 1.5 and got .508.5 So is this stick the wide LSA @ 114 compared to the 108 shaft?

Based on what you describe, I don't think you can tell anything about LSA or ICL. Did you get the #1 intake lobe centerline? The lift suggest that it might be a MP 509.

With out much info on this cam it is kind of tough. Been watching some videos and will report back when I get some more info like centerline . Should have paid more attention in math class. Pretty sure it is the 114 version, got it with my project. Not going to use it just want to know what it is.

If you have all of the tools to degree a cam, then you don't need a cam card. View the cam card as pre-purchase information to help the buyer. You can measure everything you need to know about the cam (Intake and exhaust advertised and 0.050" durations and LSA), or to confirm the cams advertised specs. Then you'll need to decide on where you want to install the cam.

Pulled a supposed 509 cam out of my 400. Stamped P4120236, looked at Mancini and the have a 235 and a 237 but no 236. Might be an older # but what is it?
4120236 is probably a 5 at the end?

That would be the 284/.484 -68 - 108 cam.

As Russ suggested...... you need the opening and closing points @.050 for both an intake and exhaust lobe to determine the lsa.

Understand PR need to get an extension for my dial indicator to get a better line on the lifter, especially the exhaust. Or just wait for the new timing set and cam and put the heads on.

I don’t know why you would call them up for that kind of tech information.

Auto Transport Service
Back