• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Push Button Trans Issue.

TLH101

Local time
1:10 PM
Reaction score
1963 Dodge 330 w/ 318 and T/F 727, is very slow to shift, first drive of the day. Take 1/4-1/2 mile, before it will shift out of first gear, even if I try shifting manually. This just started a couple days ago. After the first shift of the day, there are no others issues. Drives and shifts perfectly.
Fluid and filter were changed about 1800 miles ago, including draining converter. It has been working perfect since that time. Refill was with Valvoline Dex/Merc.
Anyone have any idea what would cause this?
Would a change to Type f help?

20211011_175734.jpg 20211028_093527.jpg

Have you checked the kick down linkage adjustment?

Did the outside temps just change there as we go into fall?

How long do you let the car run before driving off?

Type F won’t change a thing it’s not a miracle drug, it is less lubrication. So if anyone thinks that is a benefit go for it.

Did the outside temps just change there as we go into fall?

How long do you let the car run before driving off?

Type F won’t change a thing it’s not a miracle drug, it is less lubrication. So if anyone thinks that is a benefit go for it.
Outside temps have been about the same for the last 2-3 weeks. usually let run at least 10 minutes to warm up.

I’ve run ATF-4 in my trans for years so wouldn’t think the fluid you’re using would make a difference. Does your ride have the 2nd (exterior) filter on it? When I start my car cold it will shift into D or R immediately, no hesitation and will upshift at around 15MPH. When you start yours will it shift into R or D immediately or is there some hesitation when dead cold? Fluid flow restriction or low fluid could be an issue I’d assume you’ve checked out. I installed a shift kit some 15 years ago and went to a non-reusable filter dropping the OEM filter and have a later era torqueflite TQ in it.

I’ve run ATF-4 in my trans for years so wouldn’t think the fluid you’re using would make a difference. Does your ride have the 2nd (exterior) filter on it? When I start my car cold it will shift into D or R immediately, no hesitation and will upshift at around 15MPH. When you start yours will it shift into R or D immediately or is there some hesitation when dead cold? Fluid flow restriction or low fluid could be an issue I’d assume you’ve checked out. I installed a shift kit some 15 years ago and went to a non-reusable filter dropping the OEM filter and have a later era torqueflite TQ in it.

Inline filter has been deleted. It does T/C drain back, so I have always had to let it run a couple minutes to refill converter.

The Dex/Merc is just fine. Close enough to type F. A slow shift when the trans is cold is real common. If it gets normal after a short time, all good.

The ATF flows everywhere in neutral, but not in park. The converter won’t fill in park. Put in N before driving.

The ATF flows everywhere in neutral, but not in park. The converter won’t fill in park. Put in N before driving.
The converter does in fact see 5-30 psi in park and 30-55 psi in neutral. Check fsm for verification.

It's a push button trans. Nothing in the trans changes between neutral and park. The park pawl is all the changes when in park, and it's on it own cable. It simply locks the output shaft. For almost a year, I have been letting car run in park, and with park released, and it has absolutely no bearing on how quick the T/C fills.

Have to chime in off the track - if I have to allow anyone to drive mine they get a quick lecture about the parking lever. Do NOT pull the lever down until the car is at a dead stop. My habit is I push N before I pull the park lever even though the N will depress upon pulling the lever. A bud skanked the parking sprag some years ago and was glad I had a spare I don't have now.

In order to shift governor pressure has to over come throttle pressure. It fails in manual low as well. That should eliminate the valve body. Assuming the throttle linkage isn't binding anywhere that leaves the governor. It could have screen filter that is partially plugged or have governor sticking. One other possibility is a rear pump issue. When the rear pump gears have been removed they wont shift. So if the rear pump is worn that could possibly cause an issue.
Doug

Check your linkage, but I agree with last comment, u probably have a governor that's sticking, lucky u, u don't have to remove transmission to check, just the right tools and watch a few good YouTube videos will explain it all. Good luck.

Auto Transport Service
Back