• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pushbutton cable adjustment

62savoyguy2

Local time
2:54 AM
Reaction score
I recently rebuilt the engine for my 64 Polara. When I installed it I was not paying attention and did not have converter in correctly and broke front pump. I found a guy on here that lives close to me (great guy) who came to my house and repaired it...got the car running (at least I did that right) runs great, but now have no reverse. Goes in all forward gears but no reverse...just to give more info the trans fell of jack and might have damaged cable...Question is how do I adjust cable correctly? Book is a little confusing...Thanks in advance.

Thanks for the info....checked with Imperial already and they carry both cables...
Will try to adjust them first....

Thanks for the info....checked with Imperial already and they carry both cables...
Will try to adjust them first....

I don't trust imperial for one second. I'd go through Joe Suchy first.
joesuchybcard.jpg

Doubt the cable is the issue.... Does the car have engine braking in first gear? Or in other words press the first gear button, take the car up to 30 mph & let off the gas... Does the car slow down dramatically or does it coast down?

Thanks guys...will check with Joe....I have not driven the car yet. Cannot back it out of garage with no reverse.....have no help to push it.....

Why would you consider changing a part before taking the time to diagnose the problem....

451 posted the link to the "how to" adjustment. Check the adjustment first before anything.

When you say it won't go into reverse is it the selector switch not pushing in or you don't feel the car move backwards? After the repair was done did you let it idle in neutral (not park) for a little while before you tried to move it?

RR thanks....dryheat...yes I did let it idle in neutral and topped off fluid. The button goes right in but no reverse. I put rear of car on jackstands and it ran through all foreard gears...upshited fine....

In my X, often if the cable's not adjusted correctly, you end up with the car in some gear other than ahh...where you want it. R might be N and etc. If you say the trans 'fell' with the cable connected that needs a check as it could have been damaged trashing it. These cables can leak if damaged or be finicky to adjust needing some patience adjusting having little slack to play with. In my case now, I have two people helping when I need to adjust it (usually the wife is in the car holding the R button) and another is helping to keep the wheel dead true to the case for the adjustment holding the cable in place for me while setting it. Also, be careful torquing the wheel hold down bolt...aluminum case...strip that and you get one more stab with a helicore before more drastic fixes are necessary.

I would think that if his cable adjustment was that far off, the car would not complete the neutral safety circuit and wouldn't start.

I never removed the cable when engine was out.....trans was totally rebuilt by a very good trans shop 2 seasons ago...worked flawless until now.....my fault not having converter all the way in....now ??????

"If the filter becomes clogged, the condition will first become evident in excessive delay in obtaining reverse drive."

There is a difference in the pre '66 filters having
two holes when the post '66 filters only have one hole. Some say it doesn't matter?

http://www.1962to1965mopar.ornocar.com/transtech.html

If you use a late filter on an early trans you block the pickup for the rear pump, That doesn't effect reverse, it causes the trans to not shift in to drive... 1st & 2nd work, high gear won't....

FWIW I'm thinking something happened to the reverse band/servo/strut... Thats why I asked about engine braking in manual 1st gear...

I prefer to adjust with the pan off so I can verify the NSS.

It is easier, I've done the meter on the NSS method plenty but pulling the pan is easier.... Bonus reason to pull the pan you can visually inspect the low/reverse band/strut/servo......

Plus it's the easy way to remove the shift cable so it can be resealed.....

Auto Transport Service
Back