• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pushrod length with Trickflow and RB

OKDart

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
6:28 PM
Reaction score
I've got a 440 with Trickflow heads and Mancini Racing adjustable rocker arms. I don't have an adjustable pushrod checker yet, but it looks like I'll need about 9.5"-9.6" length. I see Hughes has some cut to fit at 9.8" and Summitracing has thousands to choose from. What are you guys using?

I'd at least get a piece of wooden dowel rod and make a few before ordering to make sure. I bought mine from Comp Cam.

And you can't afford one adjustable checker pushrod ?!?!?!

I knew it. You've got them started.

You have installed aftermarket heads on your car, no one can answer your question precisely.
Read everything you can about valve train geometry and then go out and buy two push rod checkers. Why two? Do one entire cylinder (intake and exhaust) at the same time. Learn the difference between "overall" length and "effective" length. Also, it's not just how long they are. What spring pressure do you have and what is the lift on your cam? That will help determine what wall thickness you will need. Even the thickness of your head gasket is a factor.
It's fun to learn this stuff. Enjoy yourself and good luck.

And you can't afford one adjustable checker pushrod ?!?!?!

I don't have one yet, I just mocked it up a couple of days ago. And if I would have bought one beforehand, it would have been too short. I had no idea the Trickflow heads would need pushrods over 1/2" longer than stock.

Also, my lifters have the oiling hole for the pushrod. Is there any benefit getting pushrods with the holes drilled when using the ball/cup style.

If I were ordering pushrods again, I'd order them with the oiling holes. There have been to many guys with issues with the cup and adjuster overheating from lack of oil - despite the HS rockers having squirter holes. This pretty much dictates the need for the HV oil pump and that pretty much dictates the need for a higher volume pan. It never ends !!

Did you restrict oil to the top end?
Is this a roller, solid or hydraulic cam?

Last edited:
You have installed aftermarket heads on your car, no one can answer your question precisely.
Read everything you can about valve train geometry and then go out and buy two push rod checkers. Why two? Do one entire cylinder (intake and exhaust) at the same time. Learn the difference between "overall" length and "effective" length. Also, it's not just how long they are. What spring pressure do you have and what is the lift on your cam? That will help determine what wall thickness you will need. Even the thickness of your head gasket is a factor.
It's fun to learn this stuff. Enjoy yourself and good luck.

Thanks, there's no drawback going larger on wall thickness other than cost is there?

Go with a standard wall, your lift isn't so great as to put that much strain on the pushrods. The extra wall thickness translates to weight and mass that the cam and valvesprings have to move and this equates to horsepower. Will you notice it ... absolutely not. But there's no point in spending the extra money when there is absolutely no point.

Thanks, there's no drawback going larger on wall thickness other than cost is there?

Like I said before, things like lift, valve spring pressure and rocker arm ratio are major determining factors. It's very important to try to determine the minimum strength/wall you will need. Whether you want to pad that with some extra thickness will be up to you and your pocket book.
There are some excellent push rod companies around. Smith Brothers and Manton just to name a few. Give them a call and have all your specs ready. I have found them to be very helpful.

Auto Transport Service
Back