• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Put a fork in me, I’m done...

GrabberOrange69

Local time
8:13 AM
Reaction score
...working that is.

Decided I’ve had enough, and aiming to fully retire the Friday before Labor Day 2022. I might not even make it that long, lol, as the company I work for got bought out by Blackstone Capital. In a good cop/bad cop scenario, they are the bad cop.

I’m 57, so I know it’s kinda early, but I have a path forward, and **** it, I’m done with corporate bullshit.

A guy I know in his mid 60s retired in June of this year. He just died 2 days ago. Worked and paid his whole life and drew social security for all of 3 months. It was a great reminder none of us know how long we’ll be here.

The fantastic part of retiring is figuring out how many car events I’m going to next summer as I’ll be able to do it all!!!

Last edited:
Heck yeah. I was off work for awhile and loved it. Car projects and house maintenance took up my time and I was happy with it. There were times where I was bored a bit though.

Hell yes!!! I have a few friends in same boat as you....they love it. I'm 55 and 62 is my goal. Sure wish I planned my path sooner.

Heck yeah. I was off work for awhile and loved it. Car projects and house maintenance took up my time and I was happy with it. There were times where I was bored a bit though.
I’m using my dads retirement model. He just acquired more cars, lol. He’s 80, still tinkers on all 5 of his vintage cars, does all his own yard work, etc, so he stays busy. Has some good car buddy friends and they meet for coffee a couple of times a week and Fridays at the local Sonic.

Plus I’m planning on taking some classes at the local votech. Stuff like welding, body work, air conditioning, etc.

Last guy who retired from my department died 10 months after leaving. Possibly covid. I'm sick and tired of corporate America and ready to just work part time at Orielly.

If you can afford it why not! They may offer you a buyout. My company offered management people 55 an older full pension and paid medical insurance to 65. So I wouldn't quit until you get the lay of the land. Give it awhile to shake out.

Last edited:
One of the last pieces of advice my dad ever gave me was "don't stop - ever".

He was referring to his own early retirement - he had worked since he was 14 to support
his family, first his own mother and siblings, later on us kids...
When he took the opportunity to retire early at 52, he received a healthy pension for life
and worked side consulting besides that.
Regardless, he had truly earned retirement, by any standard.

He filled his time by acquiring two local restaurants and tried his hand at those and I eventually
came down here to help in those, too - even though neither of us knew anything about restaurants.
After a while, when the need for tax write-offs passed, he sold them and was just plain retired.

It was then that the illnesses and medical issues appeared - and they ran him into the ground
eventually, eating away at him with cancers and other issues.
He often would say that his mistake was quitting the daily grind - that if he had stayed working
earnestly at something, he'd have been better off. He was convinced of it.

Now you know where "don't stop - ever" comes from...and I have no plan to ever stop, either.
It's a safe bet I'll drop from one of these maladies of my own eventually before I do, but regardless -
I won't stop as long as I have my faculties about me.

...working that is.

Decided I’ve had enough, and aiming to fully retire the Friday before Labor Day 2022. I might not even make it that long, lol, as the company I work for got bought out by Blackstone Capital. In a good cop/bad cop scenario, they are the bad cop.

I’m 57, so I know it’s kinda early, but I have a path forward, and **** it, I’m done with corporate bullshit.

A guy I know in his mid 60s retired in June of this year. He just died 2 days ago. Worked and paid his whole life and drew social security for all of 3 months. It was a great reminder none of know how long we’ll be here.

The fantastic part of retiring is figuring out how many car events I’m going to next summer as I’ll be able to do it all!!!

Cool!
Good luck and try to learn to relax a bit now!
Time for family and fun

I retired at age 44 in 2001. Started when I was 14. Glad I took my business mentors advice, and bought the commercial buildings while I was still in business. Now age 64, and busy every day since 44. Spend half my time here in America, and half my time in Viet Nam, with my gal there. Yup, got business enterprises going there too. Never Stop Moving...:thumbsup:
IMG_20210724_113831.jpg

Hell yes! Congratulations! I also had enough of the stupid *** corporate world. I retired 1 year ago and now attend more car events and travel more. Now Working part time at Home Depot. Maybe not for long(I tell people to go to Menards:D)

Mitch, congratulations on how well it's gone for you. Your lady is extremely attractive. Knowing when to quit the "normal" job is important. My first job i was 15 loading trucks for about 10 days, a year later bagging groceries/stocking at the local store 5 years, then a college internship with a gov organization, 40 years with them. The last 5 or 6 were more difficult, the politics got too much for me. But my career was great, retired at 61.

Any day now some corporate greed issue will prompt me to clean out the desk. Next year very likely.

....Glad I took my business mentors advice, and bought the commercial buildings while I was still in business....:thumbsup:
View attachment 1171827

My dad did the same thing. He owned the commercial building his business was in. When he was ready to retire, he owned the building outright, and carried that contract, 7.5% for 22 years, to the new owners.

That one piece was worth more than his IRA.

Congrats. You won't be sorry. Rely on your plan and be flexible.

I retired at 54 more than 2 years ago and could not be happier with the decision. Every day is Saturday.

I'm 73. 95% of my friends passed before age 60. What does that tell ya?
I keep moving. I stay busy. Screw working for any company. There would be a few people I would maybe work for.

My dad did the same thing. He owned the commercial building his business was in. When he was ready to retire, he owned the building outright, and carried that contract, 7.5% for 22 years, to the new owners.

That one piece was worth more than his IRA.
I was in the Auto Parts business. Started out as a 17yr old driver @ 2.00 per hour. Worked my way up in a small company, and bought a share of the business at age 23. When I sold my stores to Carquest in 2001 I kept the paid for real estate ( 2 buildings ) . To this date, same Carquest/Advance tenant. They just keep sending the $$$.....:thumbsup:

I just inked the papers to sell my half of the repair garage to my partner after 39 years of working together. I promised myself when I hit 62 that I'd look for the door. Took 9 month of negotiating but it's done. My body is pretty beat up from the trade. Want to save what left of my wrench turning days to my old car hobby which I still enjoy albeit at a smaller sampling size at a time. So I don't know exactly how it will play out but barring a stock market crash I have enough money to retire, don't plan on taking social security for several years (66 years and 10 months age for me). I can say one thing for sure I'm overjoyed to shed the responsibility of running a small business. If I get bored I'll take a part time at a Home Depot and donate time to the local aspca. Love dogs.

It’s all about health care Some people think nonwork/work will fulfill them
My treasures are in Heaven not in a big 401k
Hope and peace bring joy
And I do have a couple Gtx s/a few cudas to distract me
F2010E01-76BE-42CB-9083-DE05EA9C5A20.png

Auto Transport Service
Back