• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

putting an LA small blok in a 64 Savoy?

barbee6043

Local time
5:47 AM
Reaction score
I've built all kinds of old Mopars since the 80s. At 74 I admit I'm trying to cut down on some projects. Hard to get up and down (mostly back up!). I have a 64 Savoy I have advertisd all around and I know its not overpriced and still here (in Tx) the GM an truck capitol of America. I have all body/paintwork don, need to change out the K and change the car over to the 67 8 3/4 I have here. Add engine/trans!!
I have built some Savoys back in the 90s and it is a car that screams big block to me, but any BB is pretty high here ( I lived in Mo. 37 year and they ain't so darn high there!).
BB bells are stupid high too and I do have a good 68 318, bell, already ave a b body A833. IF I keep it I can stand to run the stock teener, it will be a cruiser for me, but I hate to kills the cars desirability to sell it also.
Thoughts??

I've built all kinds of old Mopars since the 80s. At 74 I admit I'm trying to cut down on some projects. Hard to get up and down (mostly back up!). I have a 64 Savoy I have advertisd all around and I know its not overpriced and still here (in Tx) the GM an truck capitol of America. I have all body/paintwork don, need to change out the K and change the car over to the 67 8 3/4 I have here. Add engine/trans!!
I have built some Savoys back in the 90s and it is a car that screams big block to me, but any BB is pretty high here ( I lived in Mo. 37 year and they ain't so darn high there!).
BB bells are stupid high too and I do have a good 68 318, bell, already ave a b body A833. IF I keep it I can stand to run the stock teener, it will be a cruiser for me, but I hate to kills the cars desirability to sell it also.
Thoughts??
IF you can find a big block cheap, I think it'll make you more money but a running and driving car should still make you some cash even with a lowly teen. You might end up making less by the time you spend the money on a conversion to a BB. Me....if I was looking for a daily driver, I'd want the teen and I might end up looking for one pretty soon. AC would ad $$$ to the worth imo.

Same problem here with big block stuff. $300 plus for a 10 1/2 clutch bellhousing seems the norm. $500 for a core 440 of questionable condition.

I have to say your car is priced right and I don't know why it hasn't sold for you. I'm only 2 years younger than you and in the same boat. Even I've found myself staring at your ad and scheming while trying to move what's already sitting here.

Anyway, I'd not be afraid to put the 318 in it. Pretty much a bolt in as you know and with a responsive engine the 4 speed would be fun. I don't see that it would kill the desirability at all. A potential buyer could enjoy the car as is while planning whatever else they might want to do with it after purchase. So many rollers end up in a shed sitting for years after being hauled home. Big plans and the best of intentions but then life and the amount of work/cost required for a drive train gets in the way.

I've found a driver keeps you much more energized to make improvements on it. Best of luck with it!

IF you can find a big block cheap, I think it'll make you more money but a running and driving car should still make you some cash even with a lowly teen. You might end up making less by the time you spend the money on a conversion to a BB. Me....if I was looking for a daily driver, I'd want the teen and I might end up looking for one pretty soon. AC would ad $$$ to the worth imo.
It is originally a slant, 3 on tree heater delete car. The buyer can add AC if he wants, I am going toward the SS style look.
I agree it is always worth more running and driving. Period.

IMG_0104.JPG IMG_0065.JPG IMG_0066.JPG IMG_0071.JPG IMG_0072.JPG IMG_0086.JPG IMG_0101.JPG IMG_0102.JPG IMG_0103.JPG

Same problem here with big block stuff. $300 plus for a 10 1/2 clutch bellhousing seems the norm. $500 for a core 440 of questionable condition.

I have to say your car is priced right and I don't know why it hasn't sold for you. I'm only 2 years younger than you and in the same boat. Even I've found myself staring at your ad and scheming while trying to move what's already sitting here.

Anyway, I'd not be afraid to put the 318 in it. Pretty much a bolt in as you know and with a responsive engine the 4 speed would be fun. I don't see that it would kill the desirability at all. A potential buyer could enjoy the car as is while planning whatever else they might want to do with it after purchase. So many rollers end up in a shed sitting for years after being hauled home. Big plans and the best of intentions but then life and the amount of work/cost required for a drive train gets in the way.

I've found a driver keeps you much more energized to make improvements on it. Best of luck with it!

I have ALMOST had it sold her in Tx. twice. First guy did not want to fool with transport across Tx and I ain't delivering. Second guy I thought we agreed on $9000 then he wants my 4 sped for free. I guess I was being hardheaded but no one gave me that trans. Most Mopar guys are 1000 mi away and thy don't ant to pay shipping or come after it!
Like a good bud that deals in lots of cars/pats said, cars are somewhat slow selling right now. Could be.

Maybe I can find a 10 1/2 BB bell like you said reasonable. The last 440 I found here he wanted $1500, it ran but needs rebuild, A (good?) core in other words. Hard to find a motor home 440 for $500 thats maybe a decent or, maybe!
I left Mo. after 37 year, been here in Tx 5, good engines were easy to find there and decent prices.
New AMD windshield and AC carpet on the way. With the new windshield gasket thats $1000 right there.
I'm about done.. hard to get up and down, hard for two old peeps (wife ) to change out an 8 3/4 but be damned if I will give one of the local shad tree mechanics $200 to just move one in and the other out. It will be loose.
I have 4 Mopars and 1 AMC, all body/paint work I have finished. 2 are good drivers. I need to get down to just 2 drivers period!!!

Last edited:
I did what you are planning with my 63. Just something to drive around having a 1970 318/904 combo from a Coronet that went Big Block.
I used the 63's poly K frame and Schumacher mounts.
I did have to do a little work on the transmission mount using one from a a-body cutting and welding the cross member mount area.
Found a extra cross member on here for $30 so if plans change and I go Big Block/727.
IMG_2852.jpg
IMG_2851.jpg

The car was build for fun and using mostly left over parts from many other projects from over the years.

I would also run a good stock poly 318. It fits the cars era! I can't remember if the poly used the LA bell or not.
I think the LA bell fits but not 100% positive. I assume you don't have a poly laying around to check it....? Easy enough to find out as there's lots here that will know.

The Poly and LA have same rear block bolt pattern, so bell housings and small block auto trannies interchange. Motor mount bosses on block are same also. Also, same bolt pattern as Gen 1 and Gen 3 Hemi.

Thoughts??
We are in the same age bracket. I bought a 62 Polara 500 years back that the owner had swapped in a slightly warmed over 273 4 speed back in the 80's during second gas crisis. My intention was to promptly drop in 440+. I was totally surprised how peppy the car was and an enjoy to cruise around in. So I bought a second Polara to hot rod, and never looked back.

Auto Transport Service
Back